Sun: "Two Injured After HMS Belfast Gangway Collapses"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Nov 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What a lash-up or in this case maybe not.
  2. Is it just me or does anyone else get a tadge miffed when the police are called "cops" by the redtops, that's a septic phrase FFS.

Just a minor rant but it pisses me off.
  3. ---- as does calling a cruiser/destroyer/frigate/minesweeper a battleship.

4. Hope they managed to get the gangway net on before that happened.
  5. :naka: I tripped up on the bastard and fell face first coming offshore tired and emotional when we were tied up outboard in Kobe.:slow:
  6. Did Welchhy subject it to load bearing critical mass whilst on a ships visit the fat whore?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Sun headline;
    A fright can do that to people.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I googled and came across this webpage What is the origin of the word "cop"? with this explanation;
    So while the high prevalence of the lazy use of "cop" may be a US trait (the article doesn't make it clear), the origin of the word is still very firmly English - Hurrah!
  9. How did they evacuate everyone? "Away STBD seaboat". For 90 people it would need HMS Massives' RIB!!
  10. Good question girthsmith - I would have thought that she would have had to have had an emergency Fire Exit so visitors could be quickly evacuated shoreside but looking at an array of happy snaps I can't see anything resembling that - an issue for the H&S boffins perhaps?
  11. It's still shite but thanks for that. Maybe we should go back to calling them "peelers" after Sir Robert Peel.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Pretty sure there's one or two site members who have experience in the local constabaulary, perhaps we should ask them?

Think you'll learn that they prefer being called 'Mr Plod', rather than peelers, cops, etc., - Always helps using the correct terminology when negotiating the speed you were actually doing if they pull you over instead of catching proper criminals, I find.
  13. I was always led to believe that a cheery "Yes Adolf, how can I relieve the boredom of your miserable existence today?" salutation was most likely to win them over.
  14. Or a cheery west of Scotland exclamation of 'Erzzapolis!......

(That is to say, the local constabulary reffered to as the 'Polis'.)

15. When they're referred to as "Five oh" I'll wheel out the bus, personally I prefer the term "filth".
  16. On Twitter, London Fire Brigade (LFB) said: "Ironically we were due to carry out a training exercise on HMS Belfast at 2pm today. "Somehow don't think that will happen now," the brigade said.

It's just like 911 and 5/7 when they plan to hold an 'excercise' and real events overtake things.

As my grandad used to say, there are no 'co-incidences' when an insurance claim is involved.

P.s 'Cops'? Isn't that a small group of trees?
  17. wal

wal Badgeman

thank God we never had a problem like that when she was berthed at Whale Island in the late 60's early 70's
  18. ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

To Russia with Love.

Dear Russia,

VMT for those two new masts, they fitted quite nicely and the crows are delighted with their nesting arrangements.

Now, ermm, you wun't 'appen to have any spare gangways going beggin' perchance?

Best regards,

c/o Two Wrist Office

Tower Bridge Street

Lunnun Tarn
  19. BOO .................