Sun: "Skint Navy Surrenders Nelson’s HMS Victory"

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Feb 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So let's see, it's not moving, not losing it's status as 2SL's flagship and will get cash to do it up? Plus, it's used for "corporate events" anyway, or at least dinings out and piss ups. Civvies will probably treat it better.

Where's the problem.

And as for their 'source' who the hell uses the phrase "Bean counters" these days?

3. Nice to see that Victory was under the Captaincy of Nelson at Trafalgar. Always suspected that Hardy was only a gash hand.
    Well reported Daily Wail. Right up to your usual standards of accuracy.

2BM

• Like Like x 2
  4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Wasn't it the sun and Dm that complained when the £16M refit was announced on the grounds it was a waste of cash?

5. I was on the good ship victory (no not first comission) and she was a party boat around 300 days a year. The night parties actually brought in more revenue over the year than day time visitors. This was due to the peak times been Spring and Summer and the winter months been very quiet. The party season was however, always on. It was not just piss stained SR's using it, many compaines and organisations used it. In one week you could have Falmouth coastguard one night, follwed by Hull fire brigade (I actually asked a couple to leave from that party that were shagging in the manger) then Met police the next day. The costing per head was pretty steep and a lot of money was taken across the bar too. As the Victory had a deal with Tradewinds catering, profit margin again was high.

Victory to be a party ship? Old news relly, especially as I am quoting from 1993.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  6. Shame about that - I had a bloody good idea for a franchise. "Shit-on-a raft Burger with Matelot-McNuggets"

[​IMG]

7. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I was on a course with some bloke who I'm sure spun me a dit that he got married on her. I'm also sure he told me how much it cost him, but the grog must have been taking affect and I can't remember.

If functions keep the old girl going I don't see the problem.