Sun: "Ex-Navy Boss Says We Couldn't Save Falklands Again"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Oct 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ARRGGHH!! I wish the Sun would stop using their stock GR9 picture to represent a Sea Harrier!

Besides, you'd never be able to take back the Falklands with the Harriers we do have - no air-to-air capability so no chance of gaining air superiority, so it's a moot point.

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Rent a quote must be making a packet at the moment.

3. Re: Sun: "Ex-Navy Boss Says We Couldn't Save Falklands Again

I think he forgot to mention that the strategic balance is slighlty different whilst In 82, 90 Marines did a great and brave job, I would think that a presence of 2000 personell who largely are battle hardened, the advance In weapon technology,the threat of SSNs unknown whereabouts would dictate that there is a need for more aircraft.

THE Falklands war In 1982 was a Naval War thats not the case In 2010 it is potentially a crab and percy pongo war if it was ever staged which I doubt it would be.

Im sure it is a case of Admirals being irresponsible

4. Re: Sun: "Ex-Navy Boss Says We Couldn't Save Falklands Again

To say any future war would be for the army and RAF to fight is pretty short sighted IMO.

5. Re: Sun: "Ex-Navy Boss Says We Couldn't Save Falklands Again

There has just been an interview with Sir Band on SkyNews at 1730 about the review and his views on the matter.

6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Surely the logical counter post is 'Argentina - we don't have the ability to invade falklands again'...

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I wonder if it is possible to program a Tomahawk to drive around BA a bit and then out to somewhere harmless, just to say we could if we wanted to .. during the rush hour so lots of people see it.

8. I would like to have another look at the interview because I don't think he actually said what the Sun is reporting him to have said. He made a couple of observations and his comments on our ability to defend/re-take the FI were fully "qualified" - regrettably, that qualification is missing from the Sun article - now there's a surprise.

9. We would have trouble re-taking the IOW!!!

The crabs would be too busy in London celebration the 72nd anniversary of Douglas Barders 2nd Hemorrhoid operation!

Perc fighting the war in the Stan.

Jack winning the unseen wars against fishing/pirates/Drugs etc

10. Good point JFH but the important issues are that while we may want to retain sovereignty of the Falklands I am less convinced of the argument for keeping the Isle of Wight

11. Has got a Garlic Farm, your right, hand it to the French!!! :D