Sun: "DeepTrouble - Scandal-hit Nuclear Sub Sees A Quarter Of Its Crew Catch Coronavirus After Sailors Breached Rules To Go Boozing"

soleil

War Hero
"A quarter of the crew of a scandal-hit nuclear sub have Covid-19 after sailors went boozing despite strict lockdown rules.

Those on the £3billion HMS Vigilant were under orders not to leave quarters at the Kings Bay US Navy base.

But they went to bars, restaurants and strip clubs, sources say, even though Georgia and neighbouring Florida are among the worst coronavirus-hit states in America.

They are said to have travelled as far as Florida’s Cocoa Beach, a 400-mile round trip from the base.

Chiefs had insisted overnight leave was to be denied during maintenance work on the Trident 2 weapons.

But at least 35 crew tested positive, including the doctor and executive officer, one of only two people with codes to fire the nukes.

A source said: “They have been alongside for weeks and sailors do what sailors do.”

A message sent to those manning another nuclear sub said the crew at Kings Bay had “breached their guidance and are now in the s***”.

Vigilant was dubbed “HMS Sex and Cocaine” after scandals involving drugs and one that saw a captain and officer hauled off the ship for bonking female officers in 2017.

A Royal Navy spokesman said: “We do not comment on matters related to submarine operations.”"

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
This is a story about Covid 19, however all the rags have glaring headlines about 'sex and cocaine', especially the Wail, which was a few years ago.

More great journalism about submarines - anyone see the newspaper reports about the submarine 'on fire' and surrounded by tugs on the Clyde last week? Turns out that's what happens during a cold move with the diesel running.

I don't doubt that there is Covid onboard, but possibly, just possibly some of them caught it in the hotels(s) they were staying in.

D

Deleted 2913

This is a story about Covid 19, however all the rags have glaring headlines about 'sex and cocaine', especially the Wail, which was a few years ago.

More great journalism about submarines - anyone see the newspaper reports about the submarine 'on fire' and surrounded by tugs on the Clyde last week? Turns out that's what happens during a cold move with the diesel running.

I don't doubt that there is Covid onboard, but possibly, just possibly some of them caught it in the hotels(s) they were staying in.
I think thou doth protest too much. If the facts are that they were denied leave and went ahead and took it, then under the present circumstances they are a complete bunch of cockwombles. I have seen your posts about people breaking Covid rules, how do his lot differ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A pair of interesting gems from the Sun's erudite & well-informed readership are worthy of a a chuckle for anyone here still harrrumphing and rustling their broadsheets -
========================================================================

1602665664418.png
And -

1602665853741.png

Comments like those should make us ever grateful for the wisdom of our intrepid tepids like Norman

Mackan2017

Badgeman

Sorry shipmate but that's not a sound "case for the defence". Neither you nor I know the full facts at the moment, but according to ALL reports they were ordered to stay in barracks (I think they move ashore to USN accommodation at the King's Bay base, not civvy hotels?). They openly flouted the rules, and guess what? They're exposed as Covidiots. FOSM must have lost a few nights sleep, because there's a strong case for removing the skipper of the boat. Think how it looks to the public taxpayer, even without all the sensationalism: One of our SSBN's has got a skipper that can't take charge of his ship's company. The buck stops with him. My guess is that he'll be relieved of his command and on the next BA flight home. This incident will be a real career-stopper; possibly for FOSM himself as well. Whoops.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
As Georgia and Florida are Covid hotspots it's not beyond the bounds of credibility that they caught it on the base. Having been to Kings Bay, it's a massive base with a large proportion of civilian employees and service personnel who live ashore. Unless they were all confined to the base and proven to be negative the source of the contamination would be hard to prove.

All that notwithstanding, if leave was stopped but ignored than that's still a disciplinary matter.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I had assumed (now possibly wrongly) that they may have caught it in the hotel. If they were ordered to stay onboard / in barracks, then totally agree with all said.

D

Deleted 58790

A pair of interesting gems from the Sun's erudite & well-informed readership are worthy of a a chuckle for anyone here still harrrumphing and rustling their broadsheets -

View attachment 55037
And -

View attachment 55038

Comments like those should make us ever grateful for the wisdom of our intrepid tepids like Norman
The Data Protection Act 2018 has been breached once more with reference to Norman and on other occasions Lt Cmd in an attempt to dissuade and belittle the subscriber from stating his or her opinion/s.
Super Moderators have either assuaged or deliberately permitted such breaches to be published contrary to the Law.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
@robert2 , please show where GDPR or the Data Protection Act has been breached.
I'm taking this as another swipe at moderators which seems to be a recurring theme of yours.

I have to deal with Data Protection and GDPR rules on a daily basis at my place of work and I can't see where any laws have been broken.

D

Deleted 58790

@robert2 , please show where GDPR or the Data Protection Act has been breached.
I'm taking this as another swipe at moderators which seems to be a recurring theme of yours.

I have to deal with Data Protection and GDPR rules on a daily basis at my place of work and I can't see where any laws have been broken.
The Data Protection Act 2018 is the UK’s implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Everyone responsible for using personal data has to follow strict rules called ‘data protection principles’. They must make sure the information is:

• used fairly, lawfully and transparently
  • used for specified, explicit purposes
  • used in a way that is adequate, relevant and limited to only what is necessary
  • accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date
  • kept for no longer than is necessary
  • handled in a way that ensures appropriate security, including protection against unlawful or unauthorised processing, access, loss, destruction or damage