Sun 2013 Military Awards - The Millies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Aug 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The sixth annual ‘Millies’ have been launched by The Sun newspaper; there are just a few weeks left during which nominations may be put forward.

Further details here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...-the-sun-military-awards-open-for-nominations

Note these categories in particular:

Outstanding Sailor or Marine – For the individual who has made the most outstanding contribution to the Royal Navy or Royal Marines over the past year

Best Reservist – For a reservist of any rank or Service who has made the most outstanding contribution to any Armed Forces endeavour

Best Unit – The winner can be a unit of any size that has excelled consistently, for example with achievements on an operational deployment

There are several other categories, of course. Have a look at the full list; you may know someone who would be the perfect nominee.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. RN Facebook page:

"Who is your Hero?

We're seeking the heroes of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines or Royal Fleet Auxiliary for the Sun's military awards, the Millies. We want to tell the world how outstanding the men and women of the Naval Service are, and we need your nominations.

If you know a hero who deserves the title, please visit the Sun's website and make your nomination. ...

The Sun launches Millie awards 2013 to honour brave boys and girls | The Sun |News|Campaigns|Our Boys

AET Michelle 'Mich' Ping with Prince Harry at the 2011 Millies when she was named Reservist of the Year

Picture: The Sun"

MichelleP.jpg

3. THE MILLIE'S........i'am going to vomit.....

4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Why? Don't you think these people deserve awards?

5. by Her Majesty yes.....by Carol vorderman or Nick knowles ect no....what next the brickie's...

6. Blackrat

I'm kind of with you but it's bloody good PR for the military. In any event, surely receiving recognition from your peers or others, regardless of whom presents the award, is a good thing?

7. That's what medals are for mate. The millies make me sick, it's a form of rationalising and presenting the work of the Armed Forces to a vacuous, celebrity and glitz obsessed public. All run by the paper that will just as quickly shit on us as pay for an awards ceremony.

And when The 'Soldiers' or the 'Military Wives choir' start to sing, I want to punch kittens.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Blackrat

You're just gutted because you missed out on the Gashist Tats award to some REME grease monkey.

I'll come clean. Bacon didn't bite, all credit to him. I was bored. I need to get out more.

9. On the upside I won most miserable draft 2012.

• Like Like x 1
  10. They are rather hateful. Recognise and celebrate the heroism of individuals, sure, but it's ****ing repugnant to say "Your contribution is more valid than your oppo's." Then you've got "THE SUN" plastered everywhere.

Nice idea, wrong execution.

11. who the hell told them they could sing....that's what i want to know........

12. as for the millies,we are of course talking about war in all it's horific detail and it is convieniently forgotten that WE have killed and maimed a lot of innocent men, women and children not to mention help destroy a country[iraq],and make another one no better[afghan],IMHO this is a gloryfication of war for prime time viewing....

13. Nominations for this year's Awards include the following:

Best Unit

HMS Lancaster

Overcoming Adversity

Mne Luke Darlington

Best Reservist

LS Andrew Westlake, HMS Flying Fox

The Millies Awards Ceremony will be on ITV at 9 pm on Monday, December 16th 2013.

14. I've nominated Marine A.

• Like Like x 3
  15. The only put the best reservist in so a matelot can win one!

Royal, Perc and Tarquin are in the limelight and press everyday.

Drugs and piracy patrols are not headline news, unless it goes wrong :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

16. What particularly grips mine is the latter point. It's an excuse for the mejia, certain politicians and the general great unwashed to pretend they give sod. It's rather like those badges they hand out to Servicemen and families, like the Blue Peter ones. The slightest hint of a stuff-up by individuals, Command formations/units or MoD blunties and they are out baying for blood. The same applies to completely valid activities that every effort seems to be made to tar as a waste of Taxpayers' money, a jolly denied to ordinary folk or some offence to modern/liberal civilisation.

While I'm at it, it's like slapping the bloody "corporate logo" (bloody logo!) on operational kit; all image, no substance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  17. The Nominations for Most Outstanding Sailor Or Marine:

PO Emily McCullough

Leading Diver Craig Waghorn

Colour Sergeant Larry Holmes

18. Waggy all the way!