Sumone tell me the pro's and con's of joining the

slim

War Hero
Re: Sumone tell me the pro's and con's of joining

The general consensus seems that it would be better to study and get a degree before joining. I wholeheartedly agree but with the reservation that the degree is is one which will be recognised and not one of the Micky Mouse types (media studies etc.) which seem to be a complete waste of 4 years of someones life.
So Good degree then go for it, Crap degree join the RM

You need to talk seriously to a Forces Careers Advisor about joining the RM. Get as much info as you can from them. See if you can get some trial experiences of some kind. Are you or can you be fit enough? I agree with the other posts; you still have a lot of physical growing to do yet. How emotionally mature are you? Do you know enough about yourself as a person yet to make such a decision? What sort of team player are you? These may already be things that you have thought long and hard about, but someone whose job it is to spot raw potential would be your best starting point. To join any of the services you have to want to passionately; it cannot be just an alternative to driving a desk or going to uni.

You also need to speak to an objective careers advisor. Don't just rely on someone from school. Go to Connexions, get advice from someone who is not just advising from a 'How many students did we get to uni this year' point of view, which can be some schools' agenda driven advice

Degrees can be obtained at any time of life. Going to uni is regarded as a rite of passage; but be wary of making a decision based on what everyone else does after finishing A levels. A degree will cost you more than £30,000 if you live away from home. Yes, you will have a great time at uni, yes you will get a significant tertiary qualification that potentially will give you better career and salary prospects. However, it may not be right for YOU at the present time. It takes courage to do something different. If you are lucky enough to find something that you truly want to do then you have to do it and blow everyone else. Good luck.

Re box_of_frogs "trial experiences of some kind" - that would be the PRMC (Potential Royal Marines Course).

It is (or was) a 3 day course held at CTCRM (Commando Training Centre Royal Marines) in Lympstone, Devon. Most Units run an equivalent nowadays and they are designed to:

a. See if The Royal Marines is a career path you want to follow.
B. More importantly - To see if your the kinda bloke Royal want and to find out if you have what it takes.

nutty_bag

War Hero

londonboym said:
I'm 17 and im in college studying my A-levels atm, but i dont wanna settle for a office job thats gonna bore me to tears. So im thinking of joining the royal marines. At then end of the day, a green beret as got to be a better achievement than a degree.

Can you please just try to advise me on what to do, because the royal navy website aint gonna wanna let me know the bad points of enroling now are they?

get back to me ASAP, [email protected] (if ya wanna e-mail me ur reply)

Londonboym

Whats the rush mate?? If i was 17 again i would be seriously concentrating on my education and waiting until i was a bit older before taking the plunge. I too was 17 when i joined the Corps but my advice to you is to think about what happens if A. You dont complete training B. What will happen to you when you eventually decide to leave the Corps. Will you have the educational background to get a decent job or will you go and work for Group 4 doing desk work (back to square 1) GET AN EDUCATION first, degree, A-levels, whatever and then when you are ready take the plunge. Another option is to do a public services course (HND) which will give you an insight into the armed forces and the emergency services which you might decide to go for. Check out connexions in your local area for careers advice or the AFCO!! The long and short of it is that your 17, ******* hell i'd be like a dog with 2 cocks at that age and wouldn't be pressurising myself too much!! Good luck with whatever you do youngun!!