Sumo Raises a Point.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Rumrat, Feb 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sumo has suggested that the town one lives in if shit, may well be an incentive for a bod to join up.
    It very well may be, but what about other reasons, anyone care to spill?

I joined up with a push from a magistrate.
    I was in the process for one reason, and got a shove for another.
    My parents were going home to Australia for three years and I would have had to go with them.
    Fuck that, as in exactly 20 months I would have been conscripted, and sent to Vietnam, which is what happened to my brother, with fatal consequences.
    I however was trying to join the Marines here and was being held up by a small problem to do with my blood pressure.
    Caught throwing bricks (hand grenade practice) at a condemned building and hauled up in front of a magistrate for vandalism. Given ultimatum, join up in two months or two years probation. In 1965 probation would have been the kiss of death to any career anywhere, so back up town and beg. The recruiter got me in the Andrew in three weeks, so a life on the ocean wave it was.

2. All my mothers side were ex-RN, going back to my great-great Grandad, my Dad was ex-RN (National Service) and his brother (my Uncle obviously) did 15 years RN so it just seemed natural. Keeping it going my eldest joined up as well..I'm just one in a long line of a Naval family I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I was always going to join the forces, it was all I wanted to do. The only issue was which. I come from a very strong army family, lots of them, my dad, his 5 brothers, their dad etc. I wanted to join the army, but my old man over ruled me as he had been a career infantryman who had no trade when he left, and although an intelligent bloke, had to take any job that payed well enough to support a family; he ending up filleting fish on the docks. Adamant that I wouldn't suffer the same fate, he pushed me into the navy. Thank you dad, best decision I never made!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Most of the blokes I met in the mob were from the North, Scotland,Ireland, Wails sic, not many from darn sarf, so maybe the calling of foreign climbs to escape from a "crap" town did encourage some to join up, me, my brother was in the mob, and there was full employment in them there days, factory managers would come round the school trying to get you to go and work for them, with my lack of brains that was all I was, Factory fodder, so I chose an employer who didnt mind I had no mind.

5. I haven't joined yet, but I have always wanted to- I made the call a few years ago and as the waiting lists were also years long I decided to go to University in between to make the most of the time; but now I have my degree (nearly...) I am starting to see other opportunities that might be more appealing :/ I feel at 24 maybe I am already too old in some ways to fully appreciate the lifestyle and the chances for promotion- but the Reserves is something that I might have a gander at. If I could go back knowing what I do now I would have definitely joined after A levels at 18! Speaking to some friends and that I have made down here, alot of them are from up Norf and cited their reasons for joining as being a lack of opportunities unless they wanted to spend longer studying or didn't mind retail work etc, and also wanted the chance to travel and 'escape' their hometowns.

6. Final year at school they sent us out to look around an "injection moulded plastics factory" and one look inside the doors was enough to persuade me that the factory life was not for me. Living in a Rural community the job prospects seemed to revolve around farming or tourism/catering. Parents were both in healthcare and had a mate from the same village already in the mob so had an "awayday" to the mainland and popped into the careers office in Pompey and ended up joining as an MA; came out after 22 cross-trained as a Nurse although never did make the complete jump to Doris and stayed an MA. Since coming out now got a degree in Nursing and another in Teaching and now working towards a Masters in Haematology! Can't really say that my location had any bearing on joining up having just lived the experience of a major pop festival and being a "Holiday Island" there was wall-to-wall fanny available right through the summer ... with water all around and being a bit of a beach/surfing bum and happier in/on water it just seemed to make sense!

7. Have to tell you babe you did exactly the right thing going to uni.
    Getting pissed whilst travelling is great but education is greater. Soldier on and make your choice with heart and head.
    And good luck either way.
    Can I keep the phone and can you send the instruction manual.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Living in a backwoods Gloucestershire village career opportunities were limited to all but the very brainy.Working in farming or the building trade looked to be the only jobs on offer and I had done both part time during school holidays. I had been on holiday to Southsea wilh my parents for a couple summers and a trip around Pompey harbour on the fanny boat had given me the urge to try out the Grey Funnel Line.I applied while still at school and joined in the September after the school holidays.

9. Had a pm from Mrs Sumo, says this is the only thing he's managed to raise

• Like Like x 3
  10. Living in a South Yorks mining village every boy who left school at 15 went darn't pit like me dad.
    I escaped by joining the RN. Looking back it was a very severe learning curve. After finding myself in a foreign land called Ipswich with short hair and itchy clothes and grown ups shouting at me all the time, I took it all in my stride.
    After twelve years that pit was still there and the people I went to school with had all turned into their dads.
    I was different, I'd been to more foreign places that they knew existed, I'd seen things I could never tell my mother, I could speak another language - jackspeak. Most of the time I had a suntan. Yes children, it was the best decision I've ever made.

:smilebox:

11. Father was MN, so that was out! One Grandfather was RN, the other a boat builder, so 'the sea was in my blood' etc.

Also, I lived in Helensburgh and it was a good way out!!

12. Because I want to go on a top class whoring trip courtesy of the the UK tax payers.... well that's one of the reasons anyway.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  13. wal

wal Badgeman

Having a father who was an Ex-Polish Sargent Major Tank corps, who would flog me at the drop of a hat. Child abuse was not known of in the fifties and sixties. I decided that I should leave home. How should;d I do this I thought. Father Ex army. No I don't want to turn out like my Father. I'll join the Navy.
    So on the 3rs of January 1966 I schlepped up to Shotley Gate. Having the upbringing that I had it t'were a piece of pish.

14. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Was an 'Army brat' all my life. Dad wanted me in his regiment as a boy soldier. No chance, my brother ran away to sea so I followed him. Brother only lasted a dog watch, but I did 23. No regrets.

15. Simple really. I turned to the right on entering the Recruiting Office.
    If I'd turned to the left, I would've been a fu**ing Nimrod Pilot in
    the RAF by the time I knocked it on the head.

If I'd stayed on the other side of the road - I would have become
    a professional Chieftan Tank driver.

Funny how fate takes a hand isn't it? Sort of ....... fateful.

16. I was taken (Press Ganged?) by some friends to one of the local non-aligned Sea Cadet units when I was 8. On returning home that night I told my parents I was going to join up. And I did. There were plenty of good job prospects in Larhndunistan and left the civil service once I got the phone call that said "yay". Old Man was Army, grandfather was Army (WWII and WWI respectively) so I was the 'blue' sheep of the family.

17. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Strange how many of us seem to have sprung from army roots.

18. My mum and dad pressured me into applying to university, I don't think they cared what I went into uni to do as long as I was there, it was a pride thing with my dad. I wasn't interested but applied anyway, after my exams I went to the careers office and got a information packs for the navy and army went home and watched them, always wanted to join the forces something they knew but didn't really acknowledge, (don't think they thought I was being serious) my results day came and I got accepted into university, I genuinely Didn't care and wanted to go ahead with applying to the navy (I'd decided after looking into it) declined my uni offers, got a bollocking off my parents then told them about the navy and its the best thing I could have done, got they're full support and I couldn't be happier haha, got my fitness an interview to go.

Moral of the story, do things that make you happy not to please others!

19. I`ll be quoting that after a full 90 seconds of sex.

• Like Like x 1
  20. It's almost a year to the day since I sat my recruit test waiting on my joining date. A Navy family on both sides of my family. I went to uni didn't like, got a "proper" job and fecking cringe while telling the fluff that I arrange tyre replacements for people for a living

Used to listen to my old man go on about trips over yonder seas and visiting such high class establishments as Hedonism in Jamaica years ago swearing I would never be like that him... 26 years later all that's different is he's a fat salad dodger with better dits.

wish they would hurry up with the carriers and let me in :)

Edited to make some sense and sorry for spelling and grammar mistakes

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013