Summer of Civil Unrest!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Daktari, Feb 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090223/tuk-fears-over-summer-of-rage-6323e80.html

The widespread fear of serious unrest was disclosed as a senior police officer warned activists were planning unrest and could find rioters easier to recruit because of the credit crunch.

Superintendent David Hartshorn, who heads the Metropolitan Police's public order branch, said known activists were planning a return to the streets centred on April's G20 summit of world leaders in London.

And intelligence shows they may be able to call on more "footsoldiers" than normal due to the unprecedented conditions - which have led to youth violence in Greece and mass protests elsewhere in Europe

Gordon Browns spokesman said: "The Prime Minister's view on this is that of course he understands people's concerns and he also understands that people are angry, for example about the behaviour of some of the banks. That's why he is absolutely determined that the Government does everything possible to deal with those concerns and help people and businesses get through what is a global recession."

The Question is: Is this to protect the population from "Activists" ... or to stop the "Activists" getting hold of Fat Gord and his chums??????

2. I’m surprised that this is a surprise. When times have been hard, there’s always been malcontents and agitators. Life also gets particularly interesting when there is widespread unemployment at a time of significant numbers of migrant workers.

3. I agree with PoL, but not only do we have a recession which adds to the available pool of protesters, but we have the end of a government approaching which increases the cause for resentment.

I do like the way Gordon keeps trying to pass off all the blame onto the ******* when he was the one who gave them the tools to doi the job, and told us everything was OK, any one remeber the end of boom and bust.