Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

summer leave

-buggy-

Lantern Swinger
hey all just wonderin if anybody could answer this for me -
im starting at Raleigh on 1st july and i think it woirks out that i have to do roughly 5 weeks there until the summer leave kicks in.
just wondered if we can take our uniform back with us from raliegh just to show the folks. i know it sounds like a strange question but i only live a couple miles from raleigh so didnt know wether or not it would b a problem to take my uniform home (for photos etc) any help greatly appreciated

:thumright:

Look, if you want to show your new uniform off to mum, old headmaster, girl/boyfriend, wear it for travelling home on leave. If you've been told you're not allowed to for some reason just stick it in your bergen or grip and change in the railway station heads, or something. Just don't forget to pack dark blue socks and issue shoes :)

Doubtless someone from Raleigh will illuminate us with regard the correct answer sooner or later. My gut feeling (& I may be wrong) is that you may not actually have your "Number 1" suit back from the tailors at that stage of your training.

Once you have completed training, subject to Al Qaeda's permission, my understanding is that you are positively encouraged to wear your uniform 'ashore'. (Apart from in Iran, where bespoke civvy outfits are provided).

Buggy

if it was me I'd actually wait until until the passing out parade before your parents see you in rig. I think it makes it a bit more 'special' and there will be plenty more opportunities during your naval career when they'll see you in uniform. I.e. coming back from deployments/families day/navy days.

jimmy_green, you know i really never thought of it that way! sounds like the best way in all honesty. also does anybody know wot day summer leave starts on? looks like its gonna be a whole summer of maintaining fitness for me.

Not sure about Raleigh, but most training establishments summer leave will commence 3rd August and back for for 28th August.

Maybe someone from Raleigh on here who could give you the correct dates.

As for the rig, wait until your passing in/out parade to show off to Mum and Dad as I am sure they will enjoy that day more than having you sat in the front room in rig. ;-)

Don't worry about the first 5 weeks mate.

A Royal Navy career is 22 years, correct me if I'm wrong. -- That means you'll have PLENTY of opportunities to show off your uniform throughout your career I would imagine!

From what I understand you aren't allowed to wear your uniform on the way home from Raleigh because of security risks and whatnot.
I agree with the others up there about leaving it until your passing out parade too, much more fun.
I think a lot of people are finishing for summer leave on the 6th of august.

I`ll never forget my Mothers words when i told her that i had passed out as a Probationary, Acting Local, Steward, class three, she said, and i quote, " Be kind to your men"

drunk-irish-048.gif

higthepig said:
I`ll never forget my Mothers words when i told her that i had passed out as a Probationary, Acting Local, Steward, class three, she said, and i quote, " Be kind to your men"

Quality mate.

Were you?

Edited to correct arse spelling & appease pedants!