Summer Employment RNR

Hi Everyone,

In a strange spot (figuratively ;) ) where I'm about to begin medical school in Ireland (ROI), being based in Dublin. I went to the RNR branch in NI and spoke to the great team there. They don't give out bursaries to students outside the UK, understandably. So I'm wondering if I joined the RNR and travelled up and down for my commitments would there be any scope to work full-time with the RN for the three months of the summer to earn a few quid? I have a long-term view to join the RN as a medical officer upon graduation.

Anyone able to shed light on this?
Cheers,

huwshpis

War Hero
I used to be in the RNR, but have been out longer than I was in! I don't normally respond to recruitment/joining queries because I'm not current, but I'm happy to make an exception in this case. You would not be able to join the RNR as a medical officer until you were fully qualified as a doctor, so if you do want to join now, you may, depending on your educational qualifications, have the option of joining as a rating or as a general entry officer.

If you join as a rating, you will spend at least a year completing your basic training, including a period of continuous training at HMS Raleigh, the New Entry training establishment for the Navy. You will have chosen a branch to serve in at an early stage and after basic training undertake Phase 2 training for your chosen branch.

If you join as an officer, you will spend about two years completing the basic training, culminating in a fleet board, after which you will be able to choose a branch. I do not know whether you will be able to serve as a Surgeon Sub-Lt after you have completed your 1st MB (assuming that is still the term for pre-clinical training).

My colleague @Branch-Hopper may be able to shed more light on this.

Chalk_bosun

Lantern Swinger
Just to expand on the above:

For both officers and ratings in the RNR, you would need to complete a 2-week confirmation course as part of basic training. This could be over the summer and indeed many reservists are students etc who fit training commitments around their academic commitments.

For officers specifically, the full training pipeline takes 2-3 years and also involves a period of 2+ weeks at sea and an 8 day divisional officers course. It is possible to condense the first 18 months of this training pipeline into a 7 week Accelerated Officer Programme which takes place over the summer. It is also possible to split this into 2 parts if the full 7 weeks is too much of a time commitment.

Once you commission as an officer, you wouldn't be able to join the medical branch unless you have GMC registration, so you might find that you end up temporarily joining another branch in the meantime, but this could be a useful/enjoyable experience for you. Then, on completion of medical school, it would - in theory - be possible to transfer seamlessly to the RN, but this is not guaranteed.

Work is often available in the reserves - particularly things like recruiting/outreach and leadership training, among plenty of other opportunities. There is also an annual tax free bounty for completing your 24-day / year minimum training commitment.

Thank you both for your replies, very informative.
I understand I'd have to spend a reserve commission in another specialty before gaining GMC certification.

This answers my question fully. Thanks again.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Thank you, @huwshpis
Seems that I was a bit late to this one, but I really could not have improved on the above :)

The only thing I would do is fully endorse the suggestion from Chalk Bosun to get yourself on AOP - will fill your Summer, gets some funds in the bank and, er, Accelerated your Officer Progression....