Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Summer Employment RNR

Hi Everyone,

In a strange spot (figuratively ;) ) where I'm about to begin medical school in Ireland (ROI), being based in Dublin. I went to the RNR branch in NI and spoke to the great team there. They don't give out bursaries to students outside the UK, understandably. So I'm wondering if I joined the RNR and travelled up and down for my commitments would there be any scope to work full-time with the RN for the three months of the summer to earn a few quid? I have a long-term view to join the RN as a medical officer upon graduation.

Anyone able to shed light on this?
Cheers,

huwshpis

War Hero
I used to be in the RNR, but have been out longer than I was in! I don't normally respond to recruitment/joining queries because I'm not current, but I'm happy to make an exception in this case. You would not be able to join the RNR as a medical officer until you were fully qualified as a doctor, so if you do want to join now, you may, depending on your educational qualifications, have the option of joining as a rating or as a general entry officer.

If you join as a rating, you will spend at least a year completing your basic training, including a period of continuous training at HMS Raleigh, the New Entry training establishment for the Navy. You will have chosen a branch to serve in at an early stage and after basic training undertake Phase 2 training for your chosen branch.

If you join as an officer, you will spend about two years completing the basic training, culminating in a fleet board, after which you will be able to choose a branch. I do not know whether you will be able to serve as a Surgeon Sub-Lt after you have completed your 1st MB (assuming that is still the term for pre-clinical training).

My colleague @Branch-Hopper may be able to shed more light on this.

Chalk_bosun

Lantern Swinger
Just to expand on the above:

For both officers and ratings in the RNR, you would need to complete a 2-week confirmation course as part of basic training. This could be over the summer and indeed many reservists are students etc who fit training commitments around their academic commitments.

For officers specifically, the full training pipeline takes 2-3 years and also involves a period of 2+ weeks at sea and an 8 day divisional officers course. It is possible to condense the first 18 months of this training pipeline into a 7 week Accelerated Officer Programme which takes place over the summer. It is also possible to split this into 2 parts if the full 7 weeks is too much of a time commitment.

Once you commission as an officer, you wouldn't be able to join the medical branch unless you have GMC registration, so you might find that you end up temporarily joining another branch in the meantime, but this could be a useful/enjoyable experience for you. Then, on completion of medical school, it would - in theory - be possible to transfer seamlessly to the RN, but this is not guaranteed.

Work is often available in the reserves - particularly things like recruiting/outreach and leadership training, among plenty of other opportunities. There is also an annual tax free bounty for completing your 24-day / year minimum training commitment.

Thank you both for your replies, very informative.
I understand I'd have to spend a reserve commission in another specialty before gaining GMC certification.

This answers my question fully. Thanks again.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Thank you, @huwshpis
Seems that I was a bit late to this one, but I really could not have improved on the above :)

The only thing I would do is fully endorse the suggestion from Chalk Bosun to get yourself on AOP - will fill your Summer, gets some funds in the bank and, er, Accelerated your Officer Progression....

AMorrison

Thank you, @huwshpis
Seems that I was a bit late to this one, but I really could not have improved on the above :)

The only thing I would do is fully endorse the suggestion from Chalk Bosun to get yourself on AOP - will fill your Summer, gets some funds in the bank and, er, Accelerated your Officer Progression....
What determines your opinion?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
One to keep an eye on though. Their other posts are really 'interesting'!
True, a lot of those emanating from the States tend to use proper names and only post once or twice so are easy to spot. They all come from the same locality.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Summer 2020 outcomes did not systemically disadvantage students MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement on grading vocational and technical qualifications this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Love Culture Week as part of Enjoy Summer Safely MoD News 0
soleil FB: RNR: "No Summer Rest For Reservist Cadets Aiming To Become Officers" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
MoD_RSS Beat the rush by getting your MOT done this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to Heads of centre - Summer 2020 results MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Insolvency Service newsletter: Summer 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual Summer Symposium 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS From the South West to Scotland - check before you travel this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Space sector to back 50 SP-INternships this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recreational team sport to return safely this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Summer Statement delivers plan for jobs in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Summer Statement delivers plans for jobs in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thousands of children offered nutritious breakfasts during summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Self-isolation lifted for lower risk countries in time for holidays this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The danger of unsecured loads – Highways England reminds drivers to check before setting off this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Exmouth tidal defence scheme construction pauses for summer season MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual decisions on awarding vocational and technical qualifications this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Exceptional arrangements for awarding qualifications this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual consultation on awarding vocational and technical qualifications in summer 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Awarding vocational and technical qualifications this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How GCSEs, AS & A levels will be awarded in summer 2020 MoD News 0
F Summer leave Dates WD Bases / Shore Est 0
MoD_RSS Free meals and summer holiday activities for children MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Summer 2019 data exchange procedure MoD News 0
S Will summer leave alter Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS Top marks as school gets summer makeover from Highways England workers MoD News 0
MorganCUFC HMS Collingwood Summer Leave 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
MoD_RSS How does your bank compare? Summer results published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Insolvency Service newsletter: Summer 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Motorists urged to check rules on towing before summer holidays MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Insolvency Service newsletter: Summer 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Be aware of safety warning signs when swimming near water structures this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Anti-corruption newsletter: summer 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Summer fun – don’t fake it! MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Summer holiday sport projects to help tackle serious violence and knife crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary calls for children to spend summer outdoors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS School's in for summer for students from Glasgow MoD News 0
D Raleigh summer leave dates 2019? Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Border Force helps holiday makers avoid summer nightmare MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Catch recording for under 10m fishing vessels starts this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Change of British High Commissioner to Kenya - Summer 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New anti-knife crime school lessons ahead of summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Last chance to apply for International Trade Summer School MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Change of British High Commissioner to Vanuatu - Summer 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Change of British High Commissioner to Eswatini during summer 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Change of British High Commissioner to Tonga during Summer 2019 MoD News 0
K Summer leave 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K Summer leave 2020 HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 28
MoD_RSS Press release: Highways England calls on motorists to tow safely this summer MoD News 0