Suit or not??????

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by lucky, Jan 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Going on the RNAC soon and i know that when i go to Raleigh i will have to turn up in suit (make the right impression and all that) but do i have to go in suit to the RNAC????
  2. Smart Casual is fine, Trousers, shirt, tie and shoes.

3. Arrive at Raleigh in a suit???? Have they said that on the paperwork nowadays? When i arrived at Plymouth was a sea of Jeans, trackies and T-shirts that got on the bus!
  4. Remember that first impressions count.
    Personally, I would wear a suit.
  5. Don't forget to get it made by Gieves, or it won't hang properly round your shoulders... ;) ...and don't forget to wear your MINATURE medals.... like the Knots, Sewing and Map Reading badges! :roll:

6. Also remember that you only get one chance to make them.
  7. And don't eat yellow snow.
  8. Times have changed for the better. Jeans are no longer acceptable.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As Drakey states, the dress code for Raleigh joiners changed around about a year ago - a vast improvement.
  10. Sounds good to me, it did look a mess at the time. Does that mean they have to wear said suit when on run ashores towards the end of training now?
    Just being nosey!
  11. Oh, and don't forget that the RN is gagging for recruits that actually last until they've finished training, so the ball is in their court. By all means wear a suit but don't forget that Hitler wore a suit too. First impressions are not all about how you look!!
  12. You dont have to turn up at Raleigh in a full suit as supermario said. For a male the joining letter states you are to join wearing a shirt with collar attached, tie, trousers (not jeans) and shoes. You dont have to turn up in an italian finest.
    The letter for the RNAC states civilain clothing for travelling in. On my RNAC there were a few people dressed in a full suit, alot like myself just wore smart civvy clothes. My advice to you for the RNAC is to dress smart but wear whatever you feel the most comfortable in. :thumright:
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

RNAC is in Collingwood or Caledonia.

The rig for Raleigh is as you state:

• Males – To wear shirt with collar attached, tie, trousers (not jeans) and shoes.

Many also wear a jacket, lots wear a suit as stated by Supermario - who, when all's said & done is a Careers Adviser rather than an applicant.

Edited for duff spelling
  14. I am not sure if you misinterpretated what I posted. Perhaps I could of worded the sentence better, however I wasnt contradicting Supermario. Far from it, what was meant was; As supermario had previously said, it is not necessary to turn up to Raleigh in a full suit.