Sugar test

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by janner, Nov 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

sugar test

One day an Irishman goes into a pharmacy shop, reaches into
    his pocket and takes out a small bottle and a teaspoon.

He pours some liquid onto the teaspoon and offers it to the chemist

"Could you taste this for me, please?"

The chemist takes the teaspoon, puts it in his mouth, swills the
    liquid around and swallows it.

"Does that taste sweet to you?" says Paddy.

"No, not at all," says the chemist.

"Oh that's a relief," says Paddy. "The doctor told me to come
    here and get my urine tested for sugar."

2. Seen similar done for real, Safeguard, in a Hospital with student nurses.

Charge Nurse was showing students round the ward and saying that their most important job was observation. Later he was showing them how to test the urine with strips. He then said that when he started many years ago they didnt have the strips and had to do it by taste, dips a finger in and licks. After much cringing and with reassurance that it was OK he passed the sample round and each student dipped a finger in and lick it. Some were gaging, none were particularly happy, especially when the Charge Nurse reminded them that their most important job was observation and that observate people would have notice that he had dipped his middle finger in and licked his index finger.
  3. Diabetes mellitus is Greek for "sweet urine", and the original diagnosis was made by taste.

Any recent story if nurses etc getting students to drink patients' pee is probably urban myth - the consequences, health and safety etc are too onerous to even contemplate!
  4. Someone been watching me a few years back ... pulled this one more than once back in the day teaching a new "Sluice Technician"!
  5. Aye, downing a pint of piss used to be a right of passage, does it still go on and if so how do our female sailors cope with the challenge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  6. 1973 Saw it done, my dad warned me theyd try it
  7. Pint of piss, then ralph and slash your wrist topping up the glass, drink before fainting.