Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Successful Medical Appeal

Good Evening,

Over a year ago when I began my application process, I was declined due to two reported incidents of feeling anxious over a five year period. This began my journey of the medical appeal...

I am writing this today as when I was putting my appeal forward it was difficult to find people with similar experiences, at times I lost all hope of being declared medically fit.

Today... I was finally declared FIT. But it took perseverance and determination as well as help from a professional for written confirmation.

When I first applied last year, my first thought was that I'd be declined due to my underactive thyroid, but when it was because I owned up having a time of anxiety (bereavement) I didn't realise that following that lengthy CAPITA call, I would be turned down there and then. Brutal.

Disheartened but not deterred, I looked to forums for motivation but couldn't find successful appeals on similar grounds. I finished university and decided to wait until this January to reapply.

I returned for an interview, got offered the job and this time my recruitment consultant told me to put an appeal forward straight away. Lesser the delay.

When writing the appeal, these are the three IMPORTANT elements that will give you the best chance at success when appealing mental illness.

1. Personal Account
What mitigating circumstances caused you to feel/behave this way?
How have you overcome this?
Put all relevant dates of instance in.

2. Professional Approach
I managed to get a letter of a psychiatrist who, in conjunction with my medical notes, wrote a supporting note on my character.

3. Notes.
Include all relevant notes
Tip - look for supporting lines. My doctor wrote that my reaction was 'stress' not mental illness. This certainly helped.

After submitting my appeal in March, today I finally got the news. It was a tense wait and I wasn't confident, as I can understand the concerns. I knew in myself that I was well, but I had to leave it to the professionals.

I hope this helps people with previous episodes of anxiety/low mood. It's not always a 'no' and if you are able to mitigate, it is possible to pass the lengthy appeals procedure.

Good luck

sim

Congratulations,

I'm about to do something similar so it's heartening to hear of your success.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Successful Medical Appeal: Eczema, Hyperhidrosis, Vitamin D deficiency, Shin Splints. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Maxpowers Medical apeal successful? Joining the Royal Navy 13
MoD_RSS Charity donation marks successful project restart MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fish start to spawn again after successful restoration work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Successful bid for funds to plant thousands of trees MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to heads: Let's have a successful 2020 exam series MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK’s largest UN mission draws to a close after four successful years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Boost to successful government rough sleeping programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RFA Mounts Bay conducts successful casualty evacuation and search and rescue mission MoD News 0
A Changing role after successful selection interview Joining the Royal Navy 16
MoD_RSS Successful start for Sellafield repackaging mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England unveils successful air quality and innovation competition entries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Law firm ceases trading following successful OISC prosecution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: DIT leads successful Trade Mission to China and Hong Kong MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Successful workshop on assessment of jelly mini-cups MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: More than £2 billion Brexit preparation funding awarded to departments for a successful EU exit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Successful cyber security relies on strength of our partnerships MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK Forces return home after successful NATO exercise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister announces successful first firings of Sea Ceptor missiles to... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Joint Forces Command enjoy successful military exercise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Successful Armed Forces employment programme extended MoD News 0
J Any successful logistics officers out there? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
finknottle The road to a successful interview. The Gash Barge 0
BFRS Managing successful programmes (msp®) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Managing successful programmes (msp®) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS Managing Successful Programmes® The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS HMS Westminster returns from successful Middle East mission Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS HMS Dragon celebrates successful Sea Viper trials Current Affairs 0
soleil What is the secret of successful tenpin bowling? Sports and Adventure Training 11
soleil "HMS Montrose leaves for sea trials after successful refit" The Fleet 2
M Anyone been successful in claiming a War Pension for Emphsem Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
D Successful AIB, what's next? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
T Famous/successful ex-Royal Navy people The Quarterdeck 103
L WO2 Tiffs - How Successful? The Fleet 22
N Colour perception in medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS Letter to medicines and medical products suppliers: 17 November 2020 MoD News 0
C Capita and medical history Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
L Face to Face Medical - Covid Lockdown? Joining the Royal Navy 0
B Re-applying and the medical. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Pre-entry Medical Manchester location? Cancer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Excess Weight - COVID challenges and a failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 0
M Pre-joining medical : where is it? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Medical device supplier resolves CMA concerns MoD News 0
T Potential medical discharge Finance & Pensions 29
W Failed Medical- Eczema Joining the Royal Navy 5
M Medical Review Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Medical Confusion Joining the Royal Navy 15
A Medical Eligabillity Joining the Royal Navy 16
S Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1