Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Substitute Service Family Accomodation

davemac32

Badgeman
I have recently applied for SFA in or around the Yeovil area but have been told there is currently none available, I have therefore been offered SSFA. Can anyone tell me what sort of areas these are in and what is the standard of the accomodation.

Goldensky

Midshipman
Hi, SSFA is Substitute Services Family Accomodation I think. Basically the RN pays for you to live in a rented house (for free), and pays all your bills (again I think) for the inconvenience of not living in a married quarter.
Obviously the people to ask are the housing/UPO people, or try the appropriate JSP (440 rings a bell).

Good Luck, you may have dipped in/out (delete as appriopriate depending on outlook)

Golden

Goldensky said:
Hi, SSFA is Substitute Services Family Accomodation I think. Basically the RN pays for you to live in a rented house (for free), and pays all your bills (again I think) for the inconvenience of not living in a married quarter.
Obviously the people to ask are the housing/UPO people, or try the appropriate JSP (440 rings a bell).

Good Luck, you may have dipped in/out (delete as appriopriate depending on outlook)

Golden

not quite true - you pay the equivalent SFA rate that you would pay if you lived in a regular service accomodation. still pay rates accordingly

TheCommunicator

Lantern Swinger
shag_shacker said:
Goldensky said:

Golden

not quite true - you pay the equivalent SFA rate that you would pay if you lived in a regular service accomodation. still pay rates accordingly

Actually, apart from his expansion of the acroynm he's not true at all!!
SSFA is provided in the event of there being no suitable SFA to meet your requirement / entitlement.

It's not free - as S_S stated, you pay the SFA charges equal to your entitlement.
Your bills are not paid - you are fully liable for your utility bills.
Ask the UPO - don't waste your time the UPO have no involvement. You only need to deal with the relevant Housing Information Centre who will put you in contact with the contractor to arrange your property. The contractor (currently HCR) may be give a selection of properties to choose from.
JSP 440 - Nothing about SSFA in there, try JSP 464

Goldensky

Midshipman
I stand happily corrected. Sorry that you don't get it for free though, maybe I'm getting confused with SSLA or something.
Also, this post was online for over 10 days before I logged in and posted my (slightly incorrect admittedly) reply, only for 2 people who knew the correct answer to login within 5 hrs to correct me.
What are the chances of that? :)

Golden

Ghost

Midshipman
Hey,

I'm in a similar position mate. Recently joined Yeovilton as a Petty Officer and there is no accommodation for me. So here I am in SSSA (Substitute Single Service Accommodation) which happens to be quite a new flat in the middle of Yeovil.

Just reading through my paperwork and it states that for SSSA, HASS (Centurion) is responsible for payment of Gas, Electricity, Water Rates, Sewerage, TV Licence, Telephone Line Rental & Connection, Council Tax and Rent.

In the case of SSFA, HASS is only responsible for Water Rates, Sewerage, Council Tax and Rent and you will be responsible for TV Licence, Telephone Line Rental & Connection, Gas, Electircity and/or Oil.

Hope that helps mate.

Goldensky said:
I stand happily corrected. Sorry that you don't get it for free though, maybe I'm getting confused with SSLA or something.
Also, this post was online for over 10 days before I logged in and posted my (slightly incorrect admittedly) reply, only for 2 people who knew the correct answer to login within 5 hrs to correct me.
What are the chances of that? :)

Golden

i'd say about one in

one.

dont worry i was soon back in the wrong

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mick1199 Runs ashore and the submarine service Submariners 37
MoD_RSS UKHO announces the release of the Seabed Mapping Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 10 new satellites to be built in Glasgow in next three years as part of new innovative constellation service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fish Export Service trial period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over 7,000 businesses register for Trader Support Service MoD News 0
Lemacque Service Record Help History 42
MoD_RSS Malaysia: Remembrance Sunday memorial service goes virtual MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remembrance Sunday service held online to honour the fallen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMCTS online event, 4 Nov 2020: An update on the digital family public law service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fire and Rescue Service Boats report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Insolvency Service newsletter: Autumn 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS IPO launches trade mark pre-apply service MoD News 0
M what does the x mean in service number Nearest & Dearest 23
MoD_RSS Disabled people to benefit from better journeys thanks to service station funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Next steps for future tri-service recruiting programme revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Disclosure and Barring Service makes senior appointments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Constable commends officers and rewards long service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Making the Civil Service a Great Place to Work for Veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil Service starts guaranteed interview scheme for veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New space service to revolutionise photography at sporting events MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Chancellor’s Speech: Opening of the Legal Year Service MoD News 0
soleil RN: "Cardigan Bay Chef Nears 50 Years' Service In The RFA" RFA 2
MoD_RSS New digital service to improve home energy performance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Online duplicate log book service launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leeds Youth Justice Service lockdown challenge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Support service for Northern Ireland trade goes live MoD News 0
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
MoD_RSS The Single Justice Service: engaging defendants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Divorce online: guided by service users MoD News 0
P Question for HM officers and those with an in-service degree Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS Simon Case appointed as Cabinet Secretary and Head of the Civil Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterans UK looking for new ways to help ease the pressure on the National Health Service and continue processing claims safely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVSA response to problems with driving test booking service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Corporal Albert McDonald MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Lance Corporal Kelly Hawthorne MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Squadron Leader Tom Goble MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Lieutenant Commander Becky Everest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Lance Corporal Rosemarie Coetzer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Lieutenant Sally Ashlin MoD News 0
C MEO(SM) - Submarine Service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Improving Student Loans Company service for customers in repayment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Test and Trace service reaches more than 250,000 people since launch MoD News 0
C National Service and Special Branch query History 20
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace service to strengthen regional contact tracing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rail passengers see major service boost with new £40 million Stevenage station platform MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointment of the new Chief of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) MoD News 0
D Service Family Accommodation Nearest & Dearest 8
MoD_RSS The Insolvency Service newsletter: Summer 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New online service to improve Lasting Power of Attorney MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public service pensions update: a GAD technical bulletin MoD News 0