Subscriptions for each role?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by samtheman91, Jun 28, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    I'm currently looking at the different roles there are and which would best suit me. I've read on here that some roles are heavily oversubscribed, and although Aircrewman jumped out at me at first I've read that there are only 20 places each year and there is a long wait. Does anyone know what roles the RN are crying out for or how many places there are?
    Many Thanks

2. While I admire your willingness to get in and get at it it is important that you select a role you are attracted to rather than snatching at anything in an effort to leapfrog the queues. Undersubscribed roles are that for a reason so make sure you understand why before signing yourself up for it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

We are crying-out for aircrewmen. It is most definitely not a long wait to join, quite the reverse.

We do require about 20 (4 intakes of 5 trainees throughout the year).

It is heavily over-subscribed but we need ten times the applicants than jobs available as 90% don't make the grade. Go for it.

4. I just wanted to have as much information as possible before deciding on a role to go for :)
    Oh right ok, so what is the sort of waiting time one would expect when applying for aircrewman?

5. Ninja_Stoker

About three months if successful, maybe less.

6. What is it people commonly fail on?

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

A fear of heights

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Recruiting Test - about 30% of ACMN applicants pass

AFCO Medical - about 10% of ACMN fail

FATs - 90% fail

Aircrew Medical - 50% fail

• Like Like x 1
  9. NS, do you have similar sieve stats for Logs Officer applicants please?

10. Look what you've started now, NS.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

I'm afraid not.

Bear in mind my stats are very rough and will doubtless vary between AFCOs.

12. So 3 in every 100? ISH

13. Anyone with a pulse and a full frontal lobotomy could join any Logs branch.

14. I'm not overly good at maths but doesn't 30% of 100 mean 30 people? So either 3 out of 10 people pass, or 30 out of 100 people pass.

15. RT - 30% pass = 30 from 100 through,
    AFCO med - 10% fail = 27 from 100 through,
    FATs - 90% fail - 2.7 from 100 through,
    Aircrew Med - 50% fail = round it down to 1 per 100 make it.

16. My bad missed the 50%, good job I don't have to do FATs and am already a crewmen. Still a shocking number!

17. There appears to be some serious concerns about FATS.

18. Just out of curiosity (I have already selected my desired career path), what are the least subscribed or unpopular officer and rating careers? And why are they unpopular?