Subs

Mongo

Hey guys, I'm new here but i've posted my application and am awaiting interview for Sub service :lol: as an OM(W) 8) any advice or tips for a small town lad before they throw me into the grinder :twisted: ?

Deeps

War Hero
Turn up smart and 5 minutes early , get on the internet and find out as much as you can about the Royal Navy and the submarine service , a bit of history would help as well . Oh and dont call submarine's ''subs'' .Its the submarine service and when you get in its''boats'' All the very best of luck mate ,you are making the best choice.

Oberons_Knob

Midshipman
Ears open gob shut was always a good tip to learning. You are going for the best lot in the RN. Boats are great fun with plenty of opportunity to get on and while you're still young. I left in 1987 after 13 years in Churchill class, bombers and O Boats. I enjoyed every minute of it and, given my time again, I would never have left. :cry:

Good luck and enjoy it. Take things as you find them, make up your own mind about everyone and everything and don't go in for slagging people off behind their backs. :wink:

You will never have friends as good as those you find in boats. Our lot still meet up, about 150 of us every year and we last served togehter in 1975! And we still misbehave and have a great run ashore!!!! :twisted: HMS Courageous Society

sidon55

Lantern Swinger
I can attest that you don't get better mates than those in boats. I recently had a visit to the UK for the unvieling of the Sidon Memorial funded by ex submariners who I have never met. It was the "Trade" coming together for one of their own for which I will forever grateful.

weejock28

Midshipman
Mongo said:
Hey guys, I'm new here but i've posted my application and am awaiting interview for Sub service :lol: as an OM(W) 8) any advice or tips for a small town lad before they throw me into the grinder :twisted: ?
take all advice given m8t, but u still wont get ure dolphins till u have met nancy in the IMPS in helensburgh. x skimmer

Jack_Spratt

Midshipman
weejock28 said:
Mongo said:
Hey guys, I'm new here but i've posted my application and am awaiting interview for Sub service lol as an OM(W) 8) any advice or tips for a small town lad before they throw me into the grinder twisted ?
take all advice given m8t, but u still wont get ure dolphins till u have met nancy in the IMPS in helensburgh. x skimmer
Serving in boats in Falslane many moons ago I did some moonlight taxi driving in Helensburg. Nancy was an occasional trip to Dumbarton and was a nightmare - always refused to pay. To be avoided like the plague!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Midget Subs talk at the UJC Submariners 2
vauxhall Membership Subs to increase by £1 Finance & Pensions 0
J Subs info Submariners 14
Dave batley ETWE on a skimmer or change to subs Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S branch Transfer from GS to Subs... whats the process? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
S Main differences between the Subs and the surface fleet? Submariners 16
drewfester Cooking oil used on Subs Bases / Shore Est 9
soleil Sco. Dly Record: "Valiant Jetty Designed To Berth Nuclear Subs Successfully Trialled" Submariners 0
G mini subs 1940's History 0
Z Post-war submersibles (X-Craft / midget subs, SDVs, scooters...)- 1950s-70s History 5
soleil Herald: "Retiring: The Expert Who Parks Subs And Aircraft Carriers" Bases / Shore Est 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Nuclear subs will stay in Scotland, Royal Navy chiefs decide Submariners 7
soleil Sydney Morning Herald: "Sea Change - Mixed Bunks On Subs" Submariners 5
soleil Scotsman: "Navy Needs Four Nuclear Subs Or Defence Will Be At Risk, Warns Liam Fox" Submariners 5
soleil NWE Mail: Navy’s Squadron Of Subs Starts To Sink In Numbers Submariners 0
W Subs or Surface Fleet? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 76
soleil Wirral Forges Links w. First Of Britain's 21st Century Subs Submariners 2
soleil North-West Evening Mail: "Call For Dual-Purpose Subs" Submariners 13
D Applying for the Subs and RFA question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Pearl Harbour - Mystery of the killer subs The Quarterdeck 0
S Pearl Harbour - Mystery of the killer subs Submariners 0
soleil Gn: "Safety Plan rejected but Nuclear Subs berthed round UK" Submariners 0
Carcass Have female MOs been on subs?? Submariners 15
B Keeping fit on Subs Submariners 20
B Life in the Subs Submariners 16
L sports in subs Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
L Marine Engineer - Subs or Ships? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
golden_rivet why women should stop paying their RAFA subs right now Nearest & Dearest 1
M CT equivalent on subs? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
soleil Sunday Herald (Scot.): "Fire fears for nuclear subs" Submariners 2
soleil "U.S. Navy ‘moving aggressively’ to allow women on subs" Submariners 96
soleil Cuts put a question mark over R-R contract to maintain subs Submariners 0
Nick_Rueth Subs...erm i mean 'boats'..or is it 'submarine'? nethermind Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
jesse R.As and subs! Diamond Lil's 8
wet_blobby Woops... 2 nuke subs crash Current Affairs 74
S shall i swap over to subs???????? Submariners 24
wingnut US Navy Mans Two Nuclear Subs with Women Submariners 25
Rum-dooer Subs scores Submariners 14
M Weapons Engineering Officer Subs, or Surface. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
X Warfare officer transfer to subs Submariners 11
D 2 new subs ordered? Submariners 2
W Medical Assistant - Subs Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
PartTimePongo Warning as nuke subs come back Current Affairs 17
P Ships or Subs ? Diamond Lil's 10
Chicogiz LADYS ON SUBS Submariners 68
creddly Giving the Subs a thought! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
T Subs on ORT Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 13
L women on subs The Quarterdeck 128
P Subs or Surface? Help please! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
Shakey British subs linked to trawler sinking. Current Affairs 21