Subs on ORT

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Trouble, Dec 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Can anyone tell me what I am entitled to claim for on JPA. I am away on ORT in a warmer climate very shortly. I will be on Ship alongside, though I will have to spend a night either side in a hotel. Any advice on exactly what can be claimed would be much appriciated, as no-one seems to be able to give me a definate answer, and I'm sure I have not claimed in the past for things I may have been eligible for. Help :lol:
  2. the best person to speak to is your writer/chief writer.......or if still in doubt see your SM......yes! he/she who controls the purse strings.....

    they should be able to tell you exactly what you can and cannot claim for.
  3. dont hold your breath as some thing it is their own money
  4. Claim overnight subsistence - you'll need an approval reference and the hotel will need to be booked though formal channels (CHBS in UK, not sure about international arrangements - check with your travel people). On JPA the top option is expenses - pretty self-explanatory how to claim back the money. The good thing about JPA is that the cash will be in your account within a few days of you submitting your claim. If you'll be alongside for a while you may also be able to claim LOA but, as Jessie said, check with your Writers / Ship's Office (if necessary the Ship's Office of the Ship you're joining).
  5. Thought you meant ORT on Subs!!

  6. Sorry to be thick but what is LOA?
  7. FlagWagger

    FlagWagger Book Reviewer

    Local Overseas Allowance - its designed, I think, to compensate Jack for the fact that beer and bg eats are, in certain ports, more expensive than in Pompey! I'm sure someone from the White Mafia will be along sometime to give the official explanation. :)
  8. Just remember to get receipts for EVERYTHING!!! You will need to ask restaurants for your own bill, and you can only claim £21 a day.

    I lost out here by not getting receipts for occasions where 16 of us went out for food, and the restaurant refused to give us sep bills. Such is life.

    If your bill is over £500 it will require manual intervention by UPO and will take longer than 3 days to get to your bank, UNLESS your UPO is very very good.

    Oh and if you get audited, you have to take your receipts to the Unit, together with a printout of your Claim on JPA (even better if your JPA terminal is linked to a printer, which ours isnt!)

    Have fun and good luck!!
  9. Can't you claim a small sum per day for a newspaper, phone call etc?

    If so, how do you claim that?
  10. Ask the shop for a receipt! You'll need a receipt from your mobile fone bill too.

    I personally wouldnt bother claiming for that. as you'd probably have those expenses at home anyway.

    The idea is claim for stuff which you have to pay yourself, which you normally wouldn't... ie hotel bills, taxi fares etc. (try getting a Spanish Taxi driver to give you a receipt - its fun!)
  11. I quote from a handy guide I got hold of, dated April 2006.

    1. New subsistence package comes into effect today (Apr 06).

    2. Day subsistence; up to 21 pounds per day, replacing "Essential Expenses" and "Daily Rates of Subsistence Allowance". Person must be travelling for over 5 hours continuously where service food is not available. Keep receipts, retain for 12 months.

    3. Incidental Expenses; up to 5 pounds per day, replacing Personnel Incidental Expenses and Mess Incidental Expenses. Covers expenses incurred when staying overnight in a hotel of temporary service accom. Limited to laundry/dry cleaning, a three minute phone call and a newspaper. Keep receipts for 12 months.

    4. Night Subsistence; up to 53 pounds per day if not booked via CHBS (Central Hotel Booking Service), replaces Night Rates of Subsistence Allowance. Payable when staying in a hotel for service reasons. Day subsistence claimed as above for lunch/evening meal costs. Non-availability of Service Accom chit required, hotels normally booked via UPO. Keep receipts for 12 months.

    Hope this clears things up a bit.
  12. "Receiptio, pour favour!"

    If that doesnt work, introduce their face to the game of golf.

  13. FlagWagger

    FlagWagger Book Reviewer

    I got bollocked years ago by my boss for not having a full set of receipts from a business trip to Japan (I'd been told in advance of my trip by a different manager that only hotel receipts would be required) - my answer, was "You try asking for receipts in Japanese then!" - after he'd stumbled over "Ryoshusho o kudasai" a few times he gave up and signed off the expenses.
  14. It is more fun to get the receiipts handwritten in japanese or chinese if appropriate.

Share This Page