Submarines, The Good and Bad

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Vrumm, Jan 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I'm 25 and have applied for MA (SM), I have my medical next week.

I am pretty sure already that being a submariner is what i want to do as oppose to general service, but i wondered if i could get your guys opinions on the Good aspects and Bad aspects of being a submariner.

Also i understand that on Bombers your unlikely to get much (if any) shore leave in foreign ports, but on Attackers how regularly would you be going to foreign ports, as travelling a little is something i'd like to do while in the service.

I look forward to hearing your views :)

2. Bombers get loads of time off unless you are gold crew,only base is Scotland,but that may change if they get independence you may get a states trip to do some missile stuff living the dream!
  3. Scotland isn't going to get independence so the bombers will be there for years to come.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks, what about the Best things and worst things about being a submariner? Sorry I know its quite a broad question.
  5. Best wine women and song
    Worst the sodding hangover, the clap and sore throat, just recovering from another run ashore:nike:
  6. The best thing about being a submariner is that Sharky, Sumo, and Wrecker, are no longer in the Navy so you won't have to meet them.
    The worst thing is the stigma and ridicule you have to live with, for the rest of your life.:icon_smile::rage:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in Submarines shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that goes deep with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle hiscondition;

And skimmers in England now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not in boats,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That drank with us in the hoolie bar faslane
    • Like Like x 1
  8. From the heart.

It's a career you want, with the opportunity to save a fair amount of money. These days - runs ashore are definitely not as numerous as once they were.....cuts, lack of fu**ing submarines, scrapping of said submarines and a whole raft of other measures to save the Government a few bob. Doubtless you will get to visit a few places, but not as many or as often as you would hope for. You are there to work and also to try and mimic what they put in the advertisements...but don't think it's all gravy. Long, long stints on deployment for the elderly undersea wanderers are fairly normal...there only being about three/four boats that can actually DO anything....standfast the Astute Class. Us old bastards will never stop blethering on
    about "what it WAS like"...but you have to make the decision to go bubblehead on your own and good luck
    to you. We all did it. We all liked it. We were (mostly) good at it. And we will NEVER forget our time in.

One of the bad things about being a submariner is the fact that they can can sink, fill up with water and kill you....but that's just the risk you have to take, just like the RAF crashing planes, ships being hit by missiles and bombs, and servicemen and women losing their lives all over the world.

It's what all the serving military get paid for.

I hope you make the choice that will be good for you for years to come.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Coo Big Willy (knob really) Sharkyspearfish.
    Sounds like your still in the fuckin Hoolie bar.
  10. Depends what you identify as 'foreign' most of us regard Faslane as foreign.
    Bomber go nowhere or didn't we on Repulse had a pre refit jolly in 'Smiff' (Portsmiff)
    If seeing the world is your forte then may I suggest joining gens at least you'll be a proper medic instead of someone that spends his days in the sick bay anaylising the contents of the primary loop!!
    Whats 'Gold' crew?
    I thought bombers just had two crews Port and Starboard!!
  11. Oi, he asked about submarines not swanning around in a family size pedalo, if he wants any advice on pleasure cruises we'll give you a shout, untill then :walk:
  12. It was so pleasant you bailed out.
    Says it all.
  13. Lightweight! I was under the North Atlantic fighting the red threat while you were under a wanchai burberry, fighting your way through a red light area.
  14. Which proves my point.
    Why send a lightweight out the far flung who could not stand the hectic pace.
    The idea was to occupy the Chinese bints so they would not breed, thus reducing the red threat from that quarter.
    If they did get preggers then we would be Anglicising them.
    You obviously was a known relative of either Noddy or Rip-van-Winkle so was not selected to meet your countries hour of need.
    So man up Nemo and accept it.
  15. Mid spring break 1990, I need to lay down in a darkened room.
  16. Cut them off at the source, good idea, funny though, I always had you down as a Kai Tai man
  17. Thanks BillyNoMates great help! :)
    Are there any MA on here you know of to see what its really like?
  18. Had the misfortune!! of spending 3 months alongside in Cocoa when we broke down (a T boat), fortunately Warspite was out there and had to do our running for us :) I think we were permanent fixtures in the Inner Rooms.
  19. Fcuk me!:love4:
  20. You and that wishful thinking.:toothy4: