Submarines or skimmers?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by The_wheel, Mar 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently in the application process for ET (WE) and have been on the waiting list for almost a year. Went into the AFCO last week to remind them I'm alive and the careers advisor asked if i would be interested in changing my application to ET (WESM) as they had just been told they are short at the moment, I had already been considering doing this as it is and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on submarine life compared to surface life as the leaflets they gave me were pretty useless.

2. Hit the 'kin search button - it's been done to death, but ultimately only one person can choose.

That'll be you then.

3. Think you've made your mind up already if your calling us on the surface "skimmers" already!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  4. Welcome to the darkside!

5. Had a look at alot of the submarine Vs surface threads and submarines are looking more tempting, however I saw a few things about promotion being slower in submarines? how would the promotion prospects differ between et (wesm) and et (we)?

6. They don't

7. Nearly right.

IIRC the 'blaggers' are usually discovered much more quickly within the S/M Service, thus eliminating them from any 'earlier-than-deserved' promotions.

8. best of luck with your application.

9. Thanks, best of luck with yours to!

10. 30 out of last 32 years service been on boats....so can't really comment !!!!! But it's been a blast...great (better??) comaradarie, more pay...and better promotion prospects (IMHO) ! Suspect ET(WSM) are needed for the bomber fleet as they strive to get back to 2 crews (first date to be achieved by was 2007 !!)