Submariners.

RumRat..

Midshipman
You could smell em before you saw them! The stench of diesel went before. I joined Verulam in 66 for home sea service but found we were going to the Far East with a submarine for sonar trials. Grrr. At least they got a run ashore but modern submariners on nuclears are so limited. bless em..

skyvet

GCM
You could smell em before you saw them! The stench of diesel went before. I joined Verulam in 66 for home sea service but found we were going to the Far East with a submarine for sonar trials. Grrr. At least they got a run ashore but modern submariners on nuclears are so limited. bless em..
How very dare you Sir!
We diesel dinosaurs were renowned for constantly showering and foo-fooing, and "P" boats actually had a bath installed in the forends, with an endless supply of pussers bubble bath issued daily.
Many a time I've come off watch, and enjoyed a steaming hot bath before slipping into my dressing gown and slippers, and sipping a piping hot mug of horlicks before retiring.
I think you may be confusing submariners with skimmers, who are known for having a sluice-down every 3 weeks - whether they need it or not ;)

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
How very dare you Sir!
We diesel dinosaurs were renowned for constantly showering and foo-fooing, and "P" boats actually had a bath installed in the forends, with an endless supply of pussers bubble bath issued daily.
Many a time I've come off watch, and enjoyed a steaming hot bath before slipping into my dressing gown and slippers, and sipping a piping hot mug of horlicks before retiring.
I think you may be confusing submariners with skimmers, who are known for having a sluice-down every 3 weeks - whether they need it or not ;)
Hands to bathe

Dusty70

War Hero
Hands to bathe
Hands to bathe was OK at sea - bloody cold alongside in Guzz though...............................

although the nice sheen of oil, fuel and shite set off my tonic suit a treat

Last edited:

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Hands to bathe was OK at sea - bloody cold alongside in Guzz though...............................
You think that's cold . . .

Actually :oops:

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I found that out when I slipped and fell off the casing when we were on 9 wharf.
You were lucky...

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I remember that incident well, I was ships company in the submarine school in Raleigh at the time.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
As a nipper, we used to swim in the outdoor pool (before it was filled in a few years ago) in those weather conditions! Cold? I'll say!
We played rugby in Helensburg once. There had been a kids sports day beforehand and they finished before we did. They had left all the showers running and by the time we got back the water was Baltic. We ended up washing in the stream outside as that was warmer.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
If it was on the sports fields near Rhu, by the married quarters, that's where I played rugby a lot as a lad. I can still smell that old wooden shed (gone now) now. Agree about the stream!

fishhead

War Hero
Washing and showering at sea is vastly overrated in my opinion. If you were at sea for a few weeks or more on a diesel boat there was little point in doing either even if the chance arose. There was no-one to impress or smell nice for. I think it gave the natural skin oils a chance to work their magic unhindered which probably is the reason I still look skin although I'm now a PSOF :D