Submariners v General Service

brendan498

War Hero
I personally do have a great deal of respect for submariners probably because as a skimmer it was something i probably would not or could not do my only experience of submarines was being torpedoed in 82 which was such a big event nobody realised it had happened until 2 years later

My apologies I shouldn,t put controversial topics on the site after consuming a little vino.
All part of the same navy and yes I do have the utmost admiration for those that go to sea in boats even if it is only occasionally these days -especially TRAFALGAR

SELJUK

War Hero
That 'war games' comment.
To those on the outside looking in they may have apeared so...to those who were at the pointy end they were definitely not!
Someday the MOD my declassify these 'war games' though I doubt it very much indeed. Then Stan the man can say 'oops, sorry boys...my goof'. But we will forgive him because he really did not know what he was talking about.......bigtime!!!!

Hey SELJUK
Thanks for the forgiveness, however I was J2 Maritime - Russian desk for 2 years and probably know a little more than you. AND yes I still admire you. Vino is a terrible curse makes me such a ****** at times well most of the time.
And it is nice when you guys bite.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
20 out of 22 in boats. Yes enjoyed it back in the day.
Would have probably enjoyed being on surface raiders
as well for the much greater choice of runs ashore
when we HAD a Navy and a few more places to go.
Then, all these wars started, Defence cuts started to
chew everything up and it all went political. The Cold
War was bloody interesting.....the Cod War (for the
surface raiders) was just as dodgy. We all do/did our
bit - no matter if we were/are under the waves or
on top of 'em. I did not volunteer for Submarine Service,
but stayed because it were a reet good laff. ENDEX

SELJUK

War Hero
MY reply was definitely not a bite.....however don't assume that because you sat behind a desk for a while makes you all about on the goings on oop north and other stuff. If it did you would most definitely would have wound your neck in.
Yep, you may consider my last remark a bite!

Stan...
El vino eh...hope it was red...me no likee white. Can't drink white...white's fer sippin'. Reds fer neckin and fallin' over.

SELJUK Ouch mate but yes a nice Merlot.
My boss was FOSM nice guy but as for his kiddie fiddlin Cdr he got his just desserts. For the record it wasn't nice pulling my dead shipmates out of the water off Iraq in 2003 but I did it and I will never forget them or their families for the sacrifice they made.
Take care mate

SELJUK

War Hero
Stan, many many apols...I do tend to go in at the deep end at times.
I hope all is well in your mind. Nightmares...I get 'em; still. Thankfully they are receding as my mind fuddles things along. It's noises that do me...I've just got to know where they are coming from and more importantly for my peace of mind, what's making them.
I hope all is well for the future.

My fault for being a tw*t after the Merlot do too much of that these days.
I've done quack taken the tablets and the wife ditched them cause they made me more of a tw*t than the vino.
Still would I do it again course I fuckin well would. The good bits always outdid the bad.
Anyone know what happened to Dave H a coxn he was GS for a while on MANCHESTER in 86 as a POWTR before he went back to Subs. Feck the things he did with his false teeth, always swamping his pit but a fantastic volleyball player when sober. Now he COULD take the piss!!!

theoldti

Lantern Swinger
stan_the_man said:
My fault for being a tw*t after the Merlot do too much of that these days.
I've done quack taken the tablets and the wife ditched them cause they made me more of a tw*t than the vino.
Still would I do it again course I * well would. The good bits always outdid the bad.
Anyone know what happened to Dave H a coxn he was GS for a while on MANCHESTER in 86 as a POWTR before he went back to Subs. Feck the things he did with his false teeth, always swamping his pit but a fantastic volleyball player when sober. Now he COULD take the piss!!!

If its the same guy, went outside a few years ago after spending some time as head of branch WO. Was driving exec transport from Southampton to London Heathrow, that sort of thing.

I have spent all my 22 years a submariner, didnt volunteer, never had a jolly, bombers. Would not turn the clock back if I could. Dont know why?

bearpit

Midshipman
After two carriers i was happy to volunteer for boats and enjoyed it much more than Gens. Mind you i was only on Diesel boats when they mentioned nucleer i was off like a rocket to civvy street.