Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

SUBMARINERS TALES!!!!

Rod, the building to the right of the boat (out of shot) was the SSK refit and admin block. I was there for a year as Upholder spare crew.

Rod, the building to the right of the boat (out of shot) was the SSK refit and admin block. I was there for a year as Upholder spare crew.

Ear that be corner of basin opposite smelly corner that be Plymouth that be, were you be at floating café, for pasty and tea.:salut::laughing5::laughing5:

That be roight Sumo, back in the day Mary's canteen was at smelly corner so you could get an oggie and a bottle of Blackthorn for standeasy then back down the boat for a few tinnies :) You could fat and bladdered at both corners thems days. Floating canteen was better 'cos not many people knew it was there.

That be roight Sumo, back in the day Mary's canteen was at smelly corner so you could get an oggie and a bottle of Blackthorn for standeasy then back down the boat for a few tinnies :) You could fat and bladdered at both corners thems days. Floating canteen was better 'cos not many people knew it was there.

What's this back down boat? Civies in gash sack and home:):)

Had to go back down the boat sometimes, duties are hell dontcha know :), plus I was a VM in my JR days so it was stagger back to Benbow Block (SM2 towers),

Last edited:
Four of us went RA in a flat just outside the main gate. Dinner usually provided from the nearby chippy.
We used to use the Bulls Head behind the Two Twigs as our local.
We were VM at first but got fed up of the barracks bullshit etc. The senior rates mess over looked the new wrens quarters and they could see right into the bathrooms. I think every one had a telescope for better close ups. We were often invited in to see the goings on their.

I have just read a very good book - 'My Bloody Efforts - Life as a rating in the modern Royal Navy' by Steve Bridgeman MBE

My question is.............................were 'trainees' really treated as badly as that on boats and if so....why ???

surely counter productive

I have just read a very good book - 'My Bloody Efforts - Life as a rating in the modern Royal Navy' by Steve Bridgeman MBE

My question is.............................were 'trainees' really treated as badly as that on boats and if so....why ???

surely counter productive
I had a boat with Steve, I haven't read the book but he's not one to bullshit. Part 3's get a hard time as it's not easy to qualify and it's a good incentive to get it all done.

Latest Threads