SUBMARINERS TALES!!!!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I don't have a Kindle which makes it a tad expensive, I'll see if I can order it from the local library. Problem is I keep buying RN and Submarine books I've got a book case full of them and at the end of the day you read them once and then they just sit there.

^Whoa - Its not essential to have a Kindle device, @janner - you can download the App from Amazon & read K Books on any PC or Laptop through wi-fi anywhere.

<<...Sign In to Kindle Cloud Reader

To buy and read Kindle content, sign in to Kindle Cloud Reader with your Amazon account.

Kindle Cloud Reader is compatible with the following browsers:

Google Chrome 20 and higher.
Mozilla Firefox 10 and higher.
Safari 5 and higher on Mac OS X/iOS 5 or newer.
Internet Explorer 10.
To read your content:
From a web browser, visit Kindle Cloud Reader.
Sign in with your existing Amazon account (or create a new one). Any existing titles you previously purchased will appear under the Cloud tab. You can read directly from your web browser and don't need to download an app.
If you're having trouble accessing Kindle Cloud Reader, check out Unable to Open Kindle Cloud Reader to make sure your browser is compatible...>>

[AZ US Version = ]

Edit to insert the AZ UK Version = https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/fd/kcp

K Books are much cheaper than hard copies & there are loads available to download a sample of before buying then: Often @£0.00/£0.99 upwards.
Another bonus is that Print size/Font/background is adjustable & Cloud Reader includes facility for adding Bookmarks & Notes at any page, Even provides the option of getting back to the last page you were reading before SWIMBO whisked you off to do her bidding elsewhere.

Downside? K Book Photograph & Maps frequently absent or of poor quality vs. print version.
You cannot 'swap' them but could allow a trusted other to reads your collection by giving them your AZ login details. (Risky).

Bob L

Last edited:

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
We were always the poor cousin.....................................BTW why are you all avoiding my question about the treatment of Part IIIs on boats.................?

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
Sort of - why couldn't a senior rate of 15 years service not use the SRs Mess as was his entitlement for example

Sumo

War Hero
Sort of - why couldn't a senior rate of 15 years service not use the SRs Mess as was his entitlement for example
They could, depending on the Boat, for scran, all other time either work or qualifying, could enter to make a brew. Along the lines you are a passenger until qualified, once ptIII done, then on to qualify in watch keeping.

WreckerL

War Hero
As Sumo has said, you don't want someone sat on his backside in the mess when he (or she nowadays) has systems to trace, SOP's and EOP's to learn etc. If it's your first time, you are (generally) given 3 months to crack it all, less time for subsequent boats as you have to re-qual everytime you join a boat, even if you're re-joining the same boat after an inboard draft.

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
So what were your experiences overall - did you think it was bullying or just sucked it up and cracked on - if what this guy says is true surely 24hours plus without sleep on a boat is just dangerous ?? (when going critical etc)

Sumo

War Hero
So what were your experiences overall - did you think it was bullying or just sucked it up and cracked on - if what this guy says is true surely 24hours plus without sleep on a boat is just dangerous ?? (when going critical etc)
Times gone by, no bullying, just what was expected, JR’s treated there PTIII even worse than SRs. You had time to sleep (sometimes) the rest, as said before was work or qualify, plus as an SR you were expected to lead, possibly the worst treated was PTIII officers, mainly by the wardroom.

Back in time during work up no sleep for long periods of time was the norm, but now I believe they have to have sleep time?

WreckerL

War Hero
Done that more than once, and that was as fully qualified ships company. I never saw it as bullying, I just cracked on with it and got it done.

Sumo

War Hero
Done that more than once, and that was as fully qualified ships company. I never saw it as bullying, I just cracked on with it and got it done.
Ditto once skipper asked me when I last slept, as I didn't know, he ordered me to bed, good job I was qualified and not hot bunking.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I was a Chief when I did my Part 3 - no favours given or expected. If seen 'loafing' ie not fixing a snag or following systems from a TAB, was encouraged to 'crack on' with the task-book. Was only 'allowed' in the Mess for meals and drinks - coffee! 'As soon as Part 3 board was over (literally 5 minutes later) was on the panel as a trainee Panel Watchkeeper! Cheers Ivor The Wrecker!

Luckily I had the Cab Space to loaf in research my systems.