Submariners sweaters

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by rod-gearing, Apr 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Anybody know I can buy a genuine submariners sweater not one on these expensive rip offs that some shops sell.
    Ive tried surplus stores and had no luck.Eastman leather sell tham as aircrew one's but never have the right size?
  2. Seems obvious but have you tried Ebay?
  3. Have you tried accosting a submariner and offering him £100 for his submarine-tested, genuine white sweater? :)
  4. Tried E Bay no luck, I didnt bother to ask anyone to part with theirs because they probably have to share with their oppos due to defence cuts.
  5. Looks like my old submariners sweater is becoming a collectors piece !!!!!!!!!
  6. Maybe I'll put mine on ebay and my white boot socks, as a WE they have never been worn.
  7. I had two brand newies (don't ask!) lurking in the top of my wardrobe for donkey's years. Last year I offered them to my two sons (aged 46 and 36), as I thought I would never need them. Having never seen them worn I enquired why, and was told that "roll necked sweaters are only worn by homosexuals so that they can be recognised by other homosexuals"!!!!!!
    I think they finished up in the charity shop!
    No wonder our modern sailor doesn't go asore in uniform anymore!!

8. pretty sure you can get them mail order from silvermans as they do just about anything military wise
  9. Left boats and the mob Xmas 1973,still wore me sweaters for work in the winter up till 1990,s .A tear rolled down me cheek when i had to put em in the scran bag.
  10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Watch out for the same sweaters that were only issued for minesweeping - clue - they don't still smell of diesel - but might still be sticky with salt.