submariners or fleet? which branch

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by doncaster86, Jan 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im wanting to join either submariner or fleet branch doing engineering, but not sure which is the best one to choose? more money in submarines tho, wots the most popular?

2. i think that fleet is most popular because not every1 fancys subs, ther is more money in subs and the waiting time is shorter. i am going in as ET(ME) and i am going in fleet because i prefer being on top of water than under it.

3. Have you much experience of being underwater? If not, how do you know you prefer being on top of it?

:twisted:

4. There are only two kinds of ships, boats and targets :lol:

5. ...don't think this guy would understand that Slim! :?

6. I spent a day at sea in the diesel submarine Oberon while under training and have taken passage in 'boats' a few times since. As a diver, claustrophobia has never been a problem for me but I realised then that I preferred the option of being able to wander on the 'upper scupper' and look at the sea and the sky whenever I wanted. However, it was easy to see how even those with initial doubts could soon get the submarine 'bug'.

The funny thing was that I knew that it could have happened all too easily to me. I just decided that I didn't want to come to regard living and working in such an environment as natural; a change of mentality I viewed at the time as akin to 'brainwashing'. There was certainly enviable cameraderie on board and each person, from the lowliest rating upwards, was endowed with the personal satisfaction of bearing serious responsibility for the safety of the boat and their fellow crew members, even when using the heads! Luckily, I found the same qualities applied in small ships too, if not to quite the same degree.

I ended up declining submarines and had a rewarding career in a niche branch of the surface flotilla but things could so easily have turned out differently. Basically, you "pays yer money and yer takes yer choice". Today's financial incentives for submarine service are an important consideration but you really have to do it because you want to do it. Just remember that first impressions, whatever they may be, are not always accurate. The best approach is to seek a range of views (as you are doing here), then decide accordingly.

7. If you are on a 23 with a good crew there are only targets :) :)

8. I always enjoyed when on deployment seeing the sights I saw whilst at sea. Being able to watch films on the flight deck. Flying fish flying over the bow, Dolphins swimming along side us. I like being able to see where I was going. So GS was the life for me.

9. :wink: :wink: :wink: FAA of course :lol: :lol: air engineering?? shed loads of early chops. make and mends, long weekend leaves.

10. Contributor Mode

This is a subject which has been done to death on various pages of RR. The general consensus being

1. Join General Service and move over after you had couple of ships and had some runs ashore. It is very difficult to move from Submarines to General Service due to manpower shortages. Doing 2 or 3 years general service was the way it was done for nearly most of the submarine service existence.

2. A Single man living in RN Accommodation serving on a Submarine does not financially gain much extra pay over his opposite number serving on a general service vessel as the gain he makes with submarine pay is lost by accommodation and food charges when alongside in their home port whilst his opposite number lives on board for free.

3. You could go direct to Faslane on an SSBN and will visit no other Port until you get a draft off the Bomber.

4. All boats will finish up being stationed at Faslane, West Scotland in the next 10 odd years. Unless the Jocks get full self rule.

To sum up, go General Service and move over after 3 or 4 years if you still fancy it.

Nutty
    Submariner retired

11. Go AET and you won't have to go on either!!!!

12. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

So why not join the RAF? ;P

13. WHAT!!!! And miss all those nice cruises the Grey Funnel Line run!!! :lol: :lol:

14. Good advice - that is what I did (well I got "volunteered" for boats actually). Do not go near a SSBN :p

15. I'm taking Nutty's advice.

I'm joining as an ETWE, but submarines is always something that interests me, so if in a few years transferring tp boats still sounds appealing-then i'l probably transfer then.

Especially as by then the a-boats will be in service

16. Feck me Alex you must be the first, can you e-mail my kids

Nutty

17. I remember seeing an a boat alongside at Dolphin in 75...

18. Joined as GS, went Submariner, and now just waiting to be drafted back to GS.

19. Jock

Perhaps you may like to share with us why you moved from GS to boats then why you decided to move back, how easy it was considering the alledged man power shortage and what opposition you met. How it affected you pay?

This may helps lads in the future who take a similar path.

Nutty

20. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

There may be trouble ahead :wink: