Submariners not allowed to transfer to GS?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Mike777, Mar 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm considering a career in submarines, but I see in the Navy regulations (chapter 51 or some such) that "Submariners do not have the right to transfer to general service" and that it's normally only allowed on medical grounds. So my question is this. If it turns out that being on a boat drives me mental, would I just have to leave the RN completely and rejoin to go on ships?
  2. If you read it carefully it says you "do not have the right" to transfer, it doesn't mean you can't but it depends on other factors such as how many are needed in your branch, how many are needed in the branch you want to go in etc.

It's written like that because you can't transfer from Phase 1 or 2 training except under exceptional circumstances.

When I was a Phase 2 DO to wannabe submariners in Raleigh we always had someone who opted for submariner to get in early and then tried to switch saying that "the AFCO told me I could"

As NS and SM will confirm, that's not the case. Polto was there the same time I was doing the same job and he and I would be rich men if we had £1 everytime we heard that one in the office.
  3. I went mental on general service but they did'nt allow me on boats
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I am rich...I charged a fiver for everyone I converted...:eek:ccasion1:
  5. We were talking SM. not S&M you nugget.
  6. So what you're saying is that you CAN transfer, but you really shouldn't?
  7. Why would you want to?
  8. What I'm saying is it is POSSIBLE once you've completed ALL training and got to the fleet and qualified but it's not a given.

It ain't easy and not many manage it unless it's for medical reasons.
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Put that right for you mate.
  10. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Things changed a number of years ago. You now join up as a submariner, rather than reach phase 2 and go through the underwater lottery. If you turn out to be a spaz then the surface fleet 'MIGHT' take you on, but that's after you have actually been a submariner.

Edit, I was being a tad harsh.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  11. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Are you saying we dodged a bullet there?