Submariners medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by stealthmode, May 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. when I was at my pre joining brief the PO mentioned that as I am going in as a submariner that the medical at raleigh will include some sort of test for/on my lungs.. does anyone know what this is, and am I likely to fail because up untill jan/feb I was a 15 per day smoker?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Chill back lofty, you'll be OK as a smoker.

The lung function test is to check your O2 transfer functionality (not your mobile network thingy!).

The main issues are if you've had perforated eardrums or ever been unconscious (Through a blow to the head rather than alcohol).

3. It is called a VITALOGRAPH and measures your ability to empty your lungs. You blow into a macine via a cardboard tube and the machine produces a sort of curve on a graph. The fact that you are/were a smoker should not have too much impact on your ability to pass it, many smoking submariners pass it OK - if I were you I would not worry about it too much.

4. Yeah I mucked up big time there, had to do it a few times because I wasn't doing it right, just ended up flat-lining.... passed still!

The Medical was alright, right up until he took some blood, I'm such a wuss!

5. I was drafted to Polaris, whole class in fact. Told the Doc when asked about any skull injuries I had been kicked unconscious playing rugby. Not important says he and passes me fit. Get to Dolphin, another medical, tell next Doc same thing and he goes up the wall, declares me unfit for boats. I had a months training and the had to wait another three months on buffers party for a ship.