Submariners Medals

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Scottish_Kiwi, Jan 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This may sound like a rather stupid question but please don't bite my head off.

In the current operational theatres, how are submariners qualifying for operational medals? Or are they qualifying at all?

Are patrols of the ballistic submarines considered as operational deployments and thus making people eligible for things like the Accumulated campaign service medal.

Cheers

K

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sadly submariners seldom get recognition by way of receiving the award of campaign medals as their presence in theatre is usually secret.

The average submariner will have little to show for their deeds of daring-do, a bit like any other covert operations operatives.

They're as rare as a Marine Engineering Officers' adjustable spanner.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As stated - it depends whether their prescence is announced. If it is, they get a gong, if it isn't they don't.

4. Only ever got one and that was the OSM for Afghanistan. MoD couldn't really deny we were out there as we were lobbing TLAM's and it was widely reported in the press.

5. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

there is talk of a paper being submitted at fleet to recognise "submarine operations" in the form of a medal, given the current pace of operations of the SSN fleet. (That's all I'm going to say about that), and also a "pin" being awarded for accumulated SSBN patrols.
    So watch out for RNTMs/DINs related to this topic!

6. this is true..however only for certain operations for SSNs....

once you get this medal..that is it..no more

good gesture if it happens

7. Completely pointless gesture and likely to be divisive, as well as "tacky". Are such awards retrospective ? Where do you draw the line on eligibility? Submariners do not need "mickey mouse" medals/ pins resembling something out of a cereal packet.

8. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I prefer my medals of honor to be taken away by the Doc and his bag of magic potions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yes they are but we never got any medals and why should we? We were only doing our job!!
    I think medals should only be issued when something outstanding or heroic has been achieved!!

• Like Like x 1

10. Same with me for kosovo the first firing in anger from sub since the falklands.
    nice bit of publicity for the RN

11. [/quote]
    Yes they are but we never got any medals and why should we? We were only doing our job!!
    I think medals should only be issued when something outstanding or heroic has been achieved!![/quote]

How do you feel about people who work out of Bastion or other Rear Echelon positions being given campaign medals?

People wouldn't exactly describe lads in the stores as doing something outstanding or heroic, their job is none the less essential, but I take it you don't believe they or perhaps even the lads in the FOBs deserve a medal.

As for medals being awarded for heroism, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been astounded by the medals being awarded to certain people, while the much more heroic efforts of lowly lads on the ground have been completely forgotten. They were all just doing their job.

A divisive issue.

K

12. [quote="notafourknotfudgepacker]
    Completely pointless gesture and likely to be divisive, as well as "tacky". Are such awards retrospective ? Where do you draw the line on eligibility? Submariners do not need "mickey mouse" medals/ pins resembling something out of a cereal packet.[/quote]

apparently they will be retrospective..I think from a point when the cold war ended...of course, a line will have to be drawn but from what I gather, they will be awarded retrospectively..

if you think they are micky mouse or tacky...dont pin it on your uniform..simple as that

13. Excellent!! So I'll be getting (retrospectively) one for ***, another for ***, possibly one for *** and maybe, just maybe one for ***. Sorry I can't say more - still classified I'm afraid!

And can I now have my (submarine) Crossing the Line and Blue Nose Certificates too? :?

14. OK fine give 'em all a medal shouldn't the wives get one too for keeping the end up at home looking after the children fighting their way round Tescos without hubby etc etc !!

15. What? You don't have a Blue Nose Certificate?

Are you sure you were there? :)

16. Got my Blue Nose and my Pee Doo does that that make me a hero? :D

17. Oh yes, very definately 'there' on many occasions! But sadly never surfaced, though we aere supposed to one time - got diverted. We were always told that to give us a blue nose cert would confirm that we had been 'up north'. Mind you, nobody wanted to paint the 2001 dome blue either! :roll:

18. 8O There were also some who were awarded a BN Cert to substantiate an Iceberg happening :oops: 8O

19. *The Hot Bunk Medal with pussers sock cluster*
    *The Meritorious going-on-patrol-with-only one-pair-of underpants Medal*
    *The Can crusher campaign star* (Bronze,Silver and Gold)
    *The Screw-down-non-return-butterfly-valve (and bar)*
    *The Plotters Medal* (with chinagraph).
    *The Bronze Harbour Cotter (2nd Class)*
    + too many to mention here.

I now put BillyNoMates CEP. TBP. LOP. DCB. TCSS9. on all my CV's
    just for the hell of it.