Submariner waiting times

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by danny.senft, Dec 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Submariner waitining times

Could someone advise me of the waiting times for ET and WE submarine branches, or post the link i cant find it, maybe im not looking hard enough, much appreciated.

2. Re: Submariner waitining times

I was about to direct you to the thread that contains these, but it seems to have disappeared. Perhaps it is being updated as we speak and will reappear soon.

3. Re: Submariner waitining times

yeah i had the same promlem, cheers though, im sure some one will be round to help soon.

4. Re: Submariner waitining times

I have found a cached copy of the thread, but my computer won't show it, so I don't know if it will be of any help.

Link deleted, for reasons which are made obvious by subsequent posts.

5. Re: Submariner waitining times

[quote="Ninja_Stoker]

Big announcement time: It's apparent that publishing waiting times is completely counter productive on several levels:

Firstly they are only estimates, applicable to those applying that particular month & there are one or two who struggle to grasp the fact that the waiting times vary monthly due to numbers of applicants and vacancies available. The system is fluid & publishing waiting times simply confuses the issue as we witness the same queries month after month, despite trying to explain the situation, subject to the individuals circumstances, repeatedly.

Secondly, people choosing to opt out in phase one training consistently state that the only reason they chose a specific trade was directly related to the speed at which they could join. Despite countless reminders that once joined, it's not possible to change trades, people still persist in believing otherwise because some chimp tells them their mate 'Smudge' managed to transfer trades. The advice is to chose a trade suited to you & stick with it.

Severally/finally, the most accurate estimate of approximate entry dates can only realistically be given by your own careers adviser as every applicant differs. Some people change their minds, suspend the application, get knocked-back at interview, are placed temporarily medically unfit, fail PJFTs, acquire criminal convictions, some may find themselves offered short-notice entry dates, some may find their entry date put back due to changes in manning requirements, etc., etc. the list goes on & all these things alter the predicted start date.

Human nature is such that very often people only hear what they want to hear. The hypothetical comment "I passed my medical, but need to wait 4 years until I'm clear of prescriptions for an inhaler before I can join" illustrates the point.

The only way to gain a vaguely accurate estimate is to listen to what your Careers Adviser tells you
    [/quote]

6. Re: Submariner waitining times

Yeah but how long you gotta wait? :wink:

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Submariner waitining times

It depends where the applicant is in the selection process. Those yet to even apply as ET(WESM) can expect anything between 18 to 24 month wait - if they pass everything first time around & have no former service, criminal record & no financial issues.

As already indicated - those wondering should speak to their AFCO for definitive guidance & confirmation of eligibility. 08456 07 55 55. :wink:

8. Re: Submariner waitining times

Just to back up what Ninja said earlier. The ony true place to get a reasonably accurate expected entry date is to talk to your own Careers Advisor or at least your own careers office. They have all the information we do, plus they have access to your personal information. When anyone is trying to give you an entry date they need to know quite a lot of information to give you as accurate a guess as possible.

All waiting times are worked out form the date you sat the RT or the date you applied whichever is the later.

Best of luck one and all

SM

:) :?

9. Hey guys,
    I'm new here so be nice! :D
    I signed up around 6 months ago for WS T SM and even though I have looked at the waiting list does anyone know around about when I could be called up? (assuming the waiting times dont get larger 8O )

And also i'm doing my Acquaint course in January. Any tips?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: My AFCO doesn't seem to know to much about the waiting times and can't give an approximate date or time.

10. So what makes you think anyone on here can give a better answer than your own careers advisor?

:)

11. Exactly do you think you are talking to people that really give a toss?

12. There is already a thread about submariner waiting times in the top 20. If you want us to be nice, do some research. Your AFCO will tell you, but just for you as you seem to be speshul, WS(T)(SM) is currently 36 months. Your AFCO can give you the same info as I have.

13. Or using my new favourite acronym supplied on the Christmas songs thread,

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

14. Get fit - you do the PJFT, the sit up and press up fitness tests and the military swimming test.
    Take only what is on the kit list, nothing else is needed and won't be used.
    Take a sense of humour with you as well.
    Just go with the right attitude, throw yourself into everything they ask you to do, give 100% all the time and you'll be fine. Don't be like one of the guys who turned up on mine - couldn't be arsed to make his bed, made no effort in the 1 phys session on Tuesday morning and subsequently got sent home before lunch time on the Tuesday.

15. Ninja_Stoker

This is one of the positive aspects of the acquaint - it helps the individual better decide whether the Navy is for them & also helps us find out the reverse.

Saves a lot of money & heartache on both sides.

16. hey Ninja where's the wating times section gone thanks.

17. Re: Submariner waitining times

Third time lucky and its also on the first page of this thread! :roll:

[quote="Ninja_Stoker]

Big announcement time: It's apparent that publishing waiting times is completely counter productive on several levels:

Firstly they are only estimates, applicable to those applying that particular month & there are one or two who struggle to grasp the fact that the waiting times vary monthly due to numbers of applicants and vacancies available. The system is fluid & publishing waiting times simply confuses the issue as we witness the same queries month after month, despite trying to explain the situation, subject to the individuals circumstances, repeatedly.

Secondly, people choosing to opt out in phase one training consistently state that the only reason they chose a specific trade was directly related to the speed at which they could join. Despite countless reminders that once joined, it's not possible to change trades, people still persist in believing otherwise because some chimp tells them their mate 'Smudge' managed to transfer trades. The advice is to chose a trade suited to you & stick with it.

Severally/finally, the most accurate estimate of approximate entry dates can only realistically be given by your own careers adviser as every applicant differs. Some people change their minds, suspend the application, get knocked-back at interview, are placed temporarily medically unfit, fail PJFTs, acquire criminal convictions, some may find themselves offered short-notice entry dates, some may find their entry date put back due to changes in manning requirements, etc., etc. the list goes on & all these things alter the predicted start date.

Human nature is such that very often people only hear what they want to hear. The hypothetical comment "I passed my medical, but need to wait 4 years until I'm clear of prescriptions for an inhaler before I can join" illustrates the point.

The only way to gain a vaguely accurate estimate is to listen to what your Careers Adviser tells you
    [/quote]

18. Ninja_Stoker

Dunno, search me Guv.... :roll:

19. Yeah, would've hated to have been in basic with him.

20. Ninja_Stoker

Truth is that the Navy doesn't suit everyone, hence the reason we have a selection process which is mutually beneficial.

That's not to say there's anything wrong in anyone choosing it's not for them, but it makes economic sense for the service & basic common sense for the individual to try as best we can to determine whether they are suited & the service suits them also.

It may well be that an individual needs to simply mature a little, it may also be the case that the individual is destined for greater things & is wasting their time in a job that simply doesn't appeal.

Each to their own, it would be rather boring if everyone loved the job & didn't want to leave.