Submariner Training and the Submarine Escape Training Tower

BARNEYRNSM

War Hero
First time I did the tank my brother was there to do a re-qual,the mists of time have clouded my memory but I wonder if any other brothers have done the SETT on the same day?
We never served on the same boat together,he left O boats to do mechs course in 1980,then after that he was on T boats,leaving the mob in 1997.I did not join up till 1986,O boats till 1993,mechs course then bombers till I left the mob in 2008

I have done both new and old (pressurised training). The argument they use for not doing it any more does not hold water. Yes rescue is an option in peace time, what about wartime or if we are operating where we are not supposed to be.

Under those circumstances I will definitely be glad of confidently knowing how to escape. Would also rather have the option for rush escape, for dissub shallow and with uncontrollable flooding for example. The decision makers are unlikely ever to be in the position of suffering the consequnces.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Still got a suit (in its bag) somewhere in my loft. We did a load of real ones on either
Opossum or Sealion and when the SETT mob thinned out - all the spare suits were
surplus to requirements and apparently non-returnable. Think I took the suit out of
the bag at some stage and used the nice zip-up thing as a stowage for personal
stuff. Must put it on and do a bit of "Tombstoning" off Plymouth Hoe sometime.....

Breath normally all the way up.

Think the option for compartment escape [rush?] should still be the norm . Ok saying use the escape tower but two man escape and
time through the tower etc the remaining survivors would need to be patient waiting their turn .

Think I was possibly the last to do exit and re-entry on a Bomber through the fwd two man tower. Lots of practice in the tank
beforehand and definately an experience standing on the casing at 60ft and having a swim around before coming back onboard via the
tower.

Happy days

G

----------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------

I came across a curious old reference to SETT the other day.

Kellogs included a free plastic submarine* in their cornflake boxes (circa 50's & 60's).

Under carefully monitored conditions, and using the recommended quantity of bicarb of soda, apparently one mini-sub reached a DD depth of 34' in the tank before surfacing efficiently.

The writer, a NO, congratulated Kellogs on the resounding success of that amazing wee gizzit.

I'll bet that the staff & swim boys were as attentive to that DIVEX as they were to any ascending trainee.

~~~~~~

STOP PRESS!!

*One of the second phot type is available at e-bay NOW:
KELLOGGS ATOMIC SODA SUBMARINE CEREAL 1957 | eBay

#########################################

#########################################

As an after thought; perhaps Bicarb of Soda tablets should be included in every S/M Escape locker.:pr:

BillyNoMates

War Hero
The nappies were awfully nice. Sort of like what my 84 year old mother-in-law wears
when she gets her swede down these days. F**k PAMPERS - put your sprog in one
of those and you won't have to change the little shit-machine for a month.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Still got a suit (in its bag) somewhere in my loft. ............... - all the spare suits were
surplus to requirements and apparently non-returnable. Think I took the suit out of
the bag at some stage and used the nice zip-up thing as a stowage for personal
stuff.

I once went to a 'What were you wearing when the ship went down?' party wearing an escape suit. The 'highlight' was letting someone hit the CO2 suit inflation bottle at some stage, and waddling round the house after!

Sumo

War Hero
Just breeze up to the Skipper's cabin, neck a glass of rum and - wah hey, there they are!
you forgot to mention gaining the SM knowledge passing all you SM qualifications, and only then being allowed to call yourself a Submariner, once the skipper gives you your Dolphins' , no Biggy really, those that don't cut it, there's always skimmers.