Submariner, Sonar

Hi guys, I've applied for submarine service, sonar. I've been trying to get as much information about the position as I can but it's hard to come by. I'd be eternally greatful if some one could shed some light on these main points;

-Is there difficult maths involved and if so is it only when learning the theory side of things during training, or is it involved all the time?

-Is the role always mentally taxing or is it a case that it's almost automatic once you've learned the role?

-Are mistakes ever made and if so how serious are they, i.e. you call out the wrong range or don't hear a detail clearly?

If even one of these questions can be answered it would mean a great deal, thank you.

Wouldn't say s**t but I think I'd struggle to quickly do the calculus and Logarithm I've come across online. I've passed my Psychometric test fine so I suppose I'll be okay and to the level required, would just be good to know what I'm gonna end up facing.

Here's the sort of stuff I've come across-

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/es310/SNR_PROP/snr_prop.htm
If you are lucky and join a vessel with a computer driven sonar set, it will do all the sums for you. As for mistakes, you will trained not to make them, you will as a newbie have someone watching over you to prevent mistakes, mistakes are made if you learn from then, and nothing bad happens life goes on, if you don't learn? Submarines don't Carry passengers.
As an ex sonar maintainer we covered that type of maths but didn't need it to often.

BillyNoMates
They all survived, so making a mistake aint too bad I guess haha
Uh? We're talking about an operational unit being taken out for repairs that 'aint cheap..definitely an enquiry as to what happened and who (if anyone) fucked up,
and please don't make light about the wet stuff outside the boat trying to get inside the boat when it hasn't been invited. It's cold...there's lots of it and it will kill you.

@SONAR-BENDER one for you I'm going to bed
I saw this earlier, but as I was still full of rum, cava and port from last night, I thought I'd let it run a while.

Space Ass, Sumo and me were Sonar MAINTAINERS - we fixed it when the users, known in those days as UCs, broke it, generally from boredom. (Remember the 2007 helix drive v pencil Sumo?). So you need to define what you are going, or hoping, to be an ET (fixer) or a WSSM (breaker). ETs need maths when on course. The users need to remember to breathe.

I saw this earlier, but as I was still full of rum, cava and port from last night, I thought I'd let it run a while.

Space Ass, Sumo and me were Sonar MAINTAINERS - we fixed it when the users, known in those days as UCs, broke it, generally from boredom. (Remember the 2007 helix drive v pencil Sumo?). So you need to define what you are going, or hoping, to be an ET (fixer) or a WSSM (breaker). ETs need maths when on course. The users need to remember to breathe.
Found many a strange object in that worm drive, spent may hours with a fine file, doing some redesign and Burr removal, just keep it running at sea.

@SpaceDonkey I haven't operated a sonar set for a long time now but I can tell you that if you do proceed you can expect to be sat both listening to the sonar and looking at screens for hours at a time along with other in a small room. When there are plenty of contacts it is very interesting but alternatively sometimes you will hear and see nothing on the screens so time will drag. There is only so much theory can be taught in the school but the remainder you will pick up as you go along. One of the major skills will be having the ability to differentiate between different types of vessel to decide whether it is a threat or can be safely ignored. I enjoyed doing it but it may be a little less hands on than when I practised the art.

Thanks fishhead, if you dont mind me asking did the job ever get hectic. Like I know in films they always try to make things look really dramatic, you'll always see orders flying about and people shouting out codes and numbers in the control room but does that actually ever happen, what's the reality?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
skyvet Nautical Jokes 18
D Submariners 13
M Submariners 83