Submariner questions

fishhead

War Hero
@The Northern Munki From what I've read on this forum the role you have chosen will be very demanding and the likelyhood of you having time to do other roles is very small.
Re personal experiences onboard, there is an old submarine maxim which states "What happens down the boat stays down the boat"

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I was ME and my best personal experiences all involved hotels, subsistance and copious amounts of alcohol. I can even remember some runs ashore.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
OK Munki - serious head on. My 'job' was a Sonar Maintainer - that's what I was drafted as. I was also a Ship's Diver and Supervisor, but don't get excited as 'they' in their infinite wisdom did away with them. However, you will qualify in 2 or 3 secondary jobs. My watch-keeping job was on 'The Panel', raising and lowering masts, transferring water, starting and stopping pumps and other stuff. There is a SERIOUS Board to get qualified for that. Then (as a WE) you'll have to qualify on the boat's weapon systems - another pretty serious board. I was 'rewarded by being given the job of 'Guider 2' which meant being part of the team firing the weapons, then actually driving a torpedo through the water. Then there was a role as a fully suited up fire-fighter if not on watch. Fair to say you'll be kept busy!

OK Munki - serious head on. My 'job' was a Sonar Maintainer - that's what I was drafted as. I was also a Ship's Diver and Supervisor, but don't get excited as 'they' in their infinite wisdom did away with them. However, you will qualify in 2 or 3 secondary jobs. My watch-keeping job was on 'The Panel', raising and lowering masts, transferring water, starting and stopping pumps and other stuff. There is a SERIOUS Board to get qualified for that. Then (as a WE) you'll have to qualify on the boat's weapon systems - another pretty serious board. I was 'rewarded by being given the job of 'Guider 2' which meant being part of the team firing the weapons, then actually driving a torpedo through the water. Then there was a role as a fully suited up fire-fighter if not on watch. Fair to say you'll be kept busy!
Sounds ace :)
Let’s just hope capita don’t take the gypsy’s kiss with my medical so I can get started straight after A levels.
Looking to go ME route at the minute but not entirely decided yet

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
For the ME route you'll start down the lower level, while your qualifying for that you'll be doing your submarine qualifying training. Once you've done that you'll have to qualify as a shutdown junior rate. Once those three boards have been completed you can start revising for your hook. That's if you go back aft. If you go Fwd Stoker you'll have your submarine qualifying to do, control room watchkeeper and then lower deck trot boards to do.

As you go up through the system it's more and more boards. Every time you join a boat you'll have at least 3 boards to do. But that's why you get paid more and get a pretty gold badge to wear.

Enjoy :cool:

Yeah I’ve had a look at the pipeline for both ME and WE, they both look awesome.
completely random and off topic but has anyone had any experience with any of the RN sports teams? I’m into my motocross racing and mountaineering. I’ve seen that there are clubs for them on Facebook.

Sumo

War Hero
Yeah I’ve had a look at the pipeline for both ME and WE, they both look awesome.
completely random and off topic but has anyone had any experience with any of the RN sports teams? I’m into my motocross racing and mountaineering. I’ve seen that there are clubs for them on Facebook.
I was thinking involved with RN and combined services judo. Time off to attend training and championship, depends on a few things, starting with your boss and skippers interest in sport. Is it an RN sponsored sport, you can get funding and travel. Longest time off, was three months at Army PTI school Aldershot training for national team championships. But once you start getting promotions and become a one of and not one of the the lads, time of gets harder, so I went to Rugby, as most if not all ships will have rugby, football, hockey and cricket teams.

But once you start getting promotions and become a one of and not one of the the lads, time of gets harder, so I went to Rugby, as most if not all ships will have rugby, football, hockey and cricket teams.
Yeah I understand that as you climb the ranks you’re going to be needed more. Are the sports a boat/ship specific thing then? This forum is ace for information, cheers I appreciate it :)
Back to the UGAS, is there more than one interview? I did my selection interview today, just waiting for crapita to sort my medical out