Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Submariner questions

Merman

Midshipman
Fair one. Bloody finger failure. Tbf The WEs don't actually produce anything. Just piggy back off the MEs and cry when it doesn't work.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Fair one. Bloody finger failure. Tbf The WEs don't actually produce anything. Just piggy back off the MEs and cry when it doesn't work.
Agree ;) Although the only WE's who do anything remotely mechanically minded are the OA's.

The only time I asked for help from a WE is if he had any come-in-handy stuff I'd run out of.

Sumo

War Hero
Agree ;) Although the only WE's who do anything remotely mechanically minded are the OA's.

The only time I asked for help from a WE is if he had any come-in-handy stuff I'd run out of.
uumm I think towed array handling was a bit clanky, and for the REA flying the kite.

I thought as a Peri tiff that was a bit mechanical.

Big help asked for from ME's was load beer, they all seamed to be on watch?

Back in my time I had ME's asking for held reading CCT diagrams, and I asked for advice with Chilled water.

also I had a very good tool set, which attracted the back aft magpies.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
uumm I think towed array handling was a bit clanky, and for the REA flying the kite.

I thought as a Peri tiff that was a bit mechanical.

Big help asked for from ME's was load beer, they all seamed to be on watch?

Back in my time I had ME's asking for held reading CCT diagrams, and I asked for advice with Chilled water.

also I had a very good tool set, which attracted the back aft magpies.
Those WE mechanical bits were mainly hydraulic which were either ours (wreckers) or the OA's, who were more wreckers than WE's. Never seen an REA use anything more mechanical than the flush in the heads.

Hi guys I've just passed my interview for UGAS and I have a few questions.
-Are there any opportunities for other roles alongside a primary role i.e. diver.
-What's the best personal experience you've had serving SM
-Any of you ME?

fishhead

War Hero
@The Northern Munki From what I've read on this forum the role you have chosen will be very demanding and the likelyhood of you having time to do other roles is very small.
Re personal experiences onboard, there is an old submarine maxim which states "What happens down the boat stays down the boat"

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I was ME and my best personal experiences all involved hotels, subsistance and copious amounts of alcohol. I can even remember some runs ashore.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
OK Munki - serious head on. My 'job' was a Sonar Maintainer - that's what I was drafted as. I was also a Ship's Diver and Supervisor, but don't get excited as 'they' in their infinite wisdom did away with them. However, you will qualify in 2 or 3 secondary jobs. My watch-keeping job was on 'The Panel', raising and lowering masts, transferring water, starting and stopping pumps and other stuff. There is a SERIOUS Board to get qualified for that. Then (as a WE) you'll have to qualify on the boat's weapon systems - another pretty serious board. I was 'rewarded by being given the job of 'Guider 2' which meant being part of the team firing the weapons, then actually driving a torpedo through the water. Then there was a role as a fully suited up fire-fighter if not on watch. Fair to say you'll be kept busy!

I was ME and my best personal experiences all involved hotels, subsistance and copious amounts of alcohol. I can even remember some runs ashore.
Not much has changed then lol.
Dad was WE on Gloucester T42 Destroyer in 98 and said the exact same. Sounds like a major trauma

OK Munki - serious head on. My 'job' was a Sonar Maintainer - that's what I was drafted as. I was also a Ship's Diver and Supervisor, but don't get excited as 'they' in their infinite wisdom did away with them. However, you will qualify in 2 or 3 secondary jobs. My watch-keeping job was on 'The Panel', raising and lowering masts, transferring water, starting and stopping pumps and other stuff. There is a SERIOUS Board to get qualified for that. Then (as a WE) you'll have to qualify on the boat's weapon systems - another pretty serious board. I was 'rewarded by being given the job of 'Guider 2' which meant being part of the team firing the weapons, then actually driving a torpedo through the water. Then there was a role as a fully suited up fire-fighter if not on watch. Fair to say you'll be kept busy!
Sounds ace :)
Let’s just hope capita don’t take the gypsy’s kiss with my medical so I can get started straight after A levels.
Looking to go ME route at the minute but not entirely decided yet

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
For the ME route you'll start down the lower level, while your qualifying for that you'll be doing your submarine qualifying training. Once you've done that you'll have to qualify as a shutdown junior rate. Once those three boards have been completed you can start revising for your hook. That's if you go back aft. If you go Fwd Stoker you'll have your submarine qualifying to do, control room watchkeeper and then lower deck trot boards to do.

As you go up through the system it's more and more boards. Every time you join a boat you'll have at least 3 boards to do. But that's why you get paid more and get a pretty gold badge to wear.

Enjoy :cool:

Yeah I’ve had a look at the pipeline for both ME and WE, they both look awesome.
completely random and off topic but has anyone had any experience with any of the RN sports teams? I’m into my motocross racing and mountaineering. I’ve seen that there are clubs for them on Facebook.

Sumo

War Hero
Yeah I’ve had a look at the pipeline for both ME and WE, they both look awesome.
completely random and off topic but has anyone had any experience with any of the RN sports teams? I’m into my motocross racing and mountaineering. I’ve seen that there are clubs for them on Facebook.
I was thinking involved with RN and combined services judo. Time off to attend training and championship, depends on a few things, starting with your boss and skippers interest in sport. Is it an RN sponsored sport, you can get funding and travel. Longest time off, was three months at Army PTI school Aldershot training for national team championships. But once you start getting promotions and become a one of and not one of the the lads, time of gets harder, so I went to Rugby, as most if not all ships will have rugby, football, hockey and cricket teams.

But once you start getting promotions and become a one of and not one of the the lads, time of gets harder, so I went to Rugby, as most if not all ships will have rugby, football, hockey and cricket teams.
Yeah I understand that as you climb the ranks you’re going to be needed more. Are the sports a boat/ship specific thing then? This forum is ace for information, cheers I appreciate it :)
Back to the UGAS, is there more than one interview? I did my selection interview today, just waiting for crapita to sort my medical out

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Logistics officer submariner questions Joining the Royal Navy 1
H Submariner pay questions Submariners 14
S A couple of questions from potential submariner. Submariners 41
O Questions - Medical Assistant Submariner Submariners 23
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp An Ancient Submariner Retires . . . Submariners 6
A MA branch (submariner) Submariners 7
R CIS Submariner Phase 2 & Sub Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Medical Assistant (Submariner) Quals Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
N Submariner Sea Time? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
4 Any tips for getting in the right frame of mind as a submariner? Joining the Royal Navy 19
X Eyesight requirements for submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
C Weapons engineer Officer application (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: RNRMC - Happy 100th Birthday Harry Melling - Britain's Oldest WW2 Submariner Submariners 2
H Basic training rent, submariner rent in faslane Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil LadBible: "Former Navy Submariner Shares Coping Strategies For Self-Isolation And Social Distancing" Submariners 3
L Advice on whether or not to join as a submariner Joining the Royal Navy 14
soleil NWE Mail: "Submariner Memorial Appeal - Competition To Celebrate The RN Launched By BAE In Barrow" Submariners 7
soleil i News: "'You’re Only Ever 15 minutes Away From Launching A Missile': What It Was Like To Be A Cold War Submariner" Submariners 27
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
soleil Refinery 29: "Money Diary - A Submariner On £43k In Her Last Week On Shore For Months" Submariners 17
J Weapons Engineering Officer (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 2
I MA - GS OR Submariner ?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S NSMBOS / EMPLOYABILITY Submariner Health & Fitness 2
C Submariner Wet and Dry Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
R Submariner medical assistant training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P Submariner time at sea Submariners 8
Ninja_Stoker ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME – MARINE, WEAPONS, AIR AND SUBMARINER ENGINEERS - 2018 UPDATE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
P Submariner Nuclear Retention Pay Submariners 16
G warfare submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Antonio555 How much will i really earn? CIS submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
soleil Telegraph: "Commander Ken Frewer, Submariner – Obituary" Submariners 1
B Writer submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
S Submariner, Sonar Joining the Royal Navy 37
P What happens when a submariner asks the internet to pay for his wedding? Diamond Lil's 10
A Help Tracing a Submariner Submariners 8
Z Engineering Technician (ME)- Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
T UGAS Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme - Marine/Weapons Engineer Submariner (MESM/WESM) Joining the Royal Navy 74
SA-Sharky Submariner vs Surface for wife Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K life as a submariner Submariners 3
McHarp Female submariner entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 80
SONAR-BENDER A good time to be a submariner? Current Affairs 7
T5igger Submariner advice please Submariners 5
Antonio555 CIS Submariner Submariners 10
Richbomber Submariner Golden Hello £15k Submariners 12
ToonPatriot Logistics Officer - Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
A Submariner life, could anyone shed any light? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
S Waiting time for Medical Assistant (Submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
J Wet phase of submariner training. Submariners 14
F Writer (Submariner) Submariners 27