Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Submariner questions

LukeD

I have a couple questions about general things in the submarine service such as when not deployed will you be working on the boat in port or training etc. How much time off do you get after/before deployments and how does this compare to the surface fleets. I have got an electrical engineering degree and when I asked the lieutenant in my URNU she said that as a marine engineer officer on surface fleet she spent 2 years working on a diesel engine then 2 years on a propeller and kept swapping every 2 years. Do Submarine engineering officers also rotate specific jobs every 2 years or would you be constantly working on multiple parts of the submarine? Thanks

Sumo

War Hero
Depends if you are looking at weapons engineering officer (electrical) or marine engineering officer (mechanical)?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
If you are joining up as a potential submarine MEO, then you will be kept extremely busy just getting qualified. I had a very good friend who was very clever, but through various circumstances, kept failing his board. They stuck him on lots of boats to gain additional experience etc. at least one of his board failures was because of a gear failure during the board. He eventually was offered and took redundancy, which was accepted.

Days before he passed his board.

Last I heard he was working for Rolls Royce.

LukeD

If you are joining up as a potential submarine MEO, then you will be kept extremely busy just getting qualified. I had a very good friend who was very clever, but through various circumstances, kept failing his board. They stuck him on lots of boats to gain additional experience etc. at least one of his board failures was because of a gear failure during the board. He eventually was offered and took redundancy, which was accepted.

Days before he passed his board.

Last I heard he was working for Rolls Royce.
Oh wow, thanks for this I knew it would be hard but I'm guessing you do a lot of different tasks then thanks.

LukeD

Depends if you are looking at weapons engineering officer (electrical) or marine engineering officer (mechanical)?
Thanks I didn't even know that weapons was geared to electrical and marine mechanical I guess I'd be looking at weapons engineering officer then.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Thanks I didn't even know that weapons was geared to electrical and marine mechanical I guess I'd be looking at weapons engineering officer then.
Not quite so many boards for a WEO, so long as you know your arrse from your elbow.......

Top tip - do not try to help the maintainers.
Do not EVER ask to borrow tools from the maintainers - for ANY reason.

LukeD

Not quite so many boards for a WEO, so long as you know your arrse from your elbow.......

Top tip - do not try to help the maintainers.
Do not EVER ask to borrow tools from the maintainers - for ANY reason.
Thanks for this mate, am I right in thinking that you or someone you know had a bad experience asking to borrow a tool?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
The other thing to not do is stand over your maintainer's shoulder asking when it will be fixed...........

Might be 5 minutes, might be 66 hours (slept well after that one!!)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
ME branch do both electrical and mechanical engineering, ME electrical is what is known as "heavy" electrical , meaning power generation and distribution, switchboards, motors etc, all pumps, for instance, are driven, and controlled, electrically.

Perry

Lantern Swinger
I have never met an MEO who spent 2 minutes on a ship or boat (had a visit to Superb and an O boat once) working on a diesel engine let alone 2 years. They are not trusted with tools unless it is to open their own cabin/locker door.

Sumo

War Hero
Fitting big brother, over a weekend in faslav, WEO takes a screwdriver out of my bag, and says he will give me a hand, curtain flies back, WEO give my maintainer his tools back, I want it to work, yes sir he says, curtain drawn back, WEO leaves boat.

crash_evans

War Hero
I have a couple questions about general things in the submarine service such as when not deployed will you be working on the boat in port or training etc. How much time off do you get after/before deployments and how does this compare to the surface fleets. I have got an electrical engineering degree and when I asked the lieutenant in my URNU she said that as a marine engineer officer on surface fleet she spent 2 years working on a diesel engine then 2 years on a propeller and kept swapping every 2 years. Do Submarine engineering officers also rotate specific jobs every 2 years or would you be constantly working on multiple parts of the submarine? Thanks

2 years on a diesel? Who was she? Stevie Wonder?? The CO might have something to say about the tardiness of the defect repair!

Not to mention 2 years fixing a propeller. I’m willing to be proven wrong that anyone can hold their breath that long!

Not helpful answers, it made me chuckle though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Only served on 1 ship with the fairer sex. But, one of the wren gollies turned out to be the ‘phantom shitter’!

Slight thread drift, I know.

She was sound though.

LukeD

ME branch do both electrical and mechanical engineering, ME electrical is what is known as "heavy" electrical , meaning power generation and distribution, switchboards, motors etc, all pumps, for instance, are driven, and controlled, electrically.
Thanks for this mate yeah I prefer electronics but I'd assume power engineering is needed more.

LukeD

I have never met an MEO who spent 2 minutes on a ship or boat (had a visit to Superb and an O boat once) working on a diesel engine let alone 2 years. They are not trusted with tools unless it is to open their own cabin/locker door.
HI mate could you elaborate on this. I can't fully remember what jobs she told me as it was a few months ago now in the interview. So what kind of jobs do MEO's do, I'm guessing from all of the replies that there is a lot of joking about officers. I was told that on submarines officers and ratings get on well as it's more of a tight nit community, is there some kind of tension/disliking or is this all just light hearted joking around?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Logistics officer submariner questions Joining the Royal Navy 1
H Submariner pay questions Submariners 14
S A couple of questions from potential submariner. Submariners 41
O Questions - Medical Assistant Submariner Submariners 23
A MA branch (submariner) Submariners 7
R CIS Submariner Phase 2 & Sub Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Medical Assistant (Submariner) Quals Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
N Submariner Sea Time? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
4 Any tips for getting in the right frame of mind as a submariner? Joining the Royal Navy 19
X Eyesight requirements for submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
C Weapons engineer Officer application (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: RNRMC - Happy 100th Birthday Harry Melling - Britain's Oldest WW2 Submariner Submariners 2
H Basic training rent, submariner rent in faslane Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil LadBible: "Former Navy Submariner Shares Coping Strategies For Self-Isolation And Social Distancing" Submariners 3
L Advice on whether or not to join as a submariner Joining the Royal Navy 14
soleil NWE Mail: "Submariner Memorial Appeal - Competition To Celebrate The RN Launched By BAE In Barrow" Submariners 7
soleil i News: "'You’re Only Ever 15 minutes Away From Launching A Missile': What It Was Like To Be A Cold War Submariner" Submariners 27
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
soleil Refinery 29: "Money Diary - A Submariner On £43k In Her Last Week On Shore For Months" Submariners 17
J Weapons Engineering Officer (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 2
I MA - GS OR Submariner ?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S NSMBOS / EMPLOYABILITY Submariner Health & Fitness 2
C Submariner Wet and Dry Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
R Submariner medical assistant training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P Submariner time at sea Submariners 8
Ninja_Stoker ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME – MARINE, WEAPONS, AIR AND SUBMARINER ENGINEERS - 2018 UPDATE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
P Submariner Nuclear Retention Pay Submariners 16
G warfare submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Antonio555 How much will i really earn? CIS submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
soleil Telegraph: "Commander Ken Frewer, Submariner – Obituary" Submariners 1
B Writer submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
S Submariner, Sonar Joining the Royal Navy 37
P What happens when a submariner asks the internet to pay for his wedding? Diamond Lil's 10
A Help Tracing a Submariner Submariners 8
Z Engineering Technician (ME)- Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
T UGAS Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme - Marine/Weapons Engineer Submariner (MESM/WESM) Joining the Royal Navy 74
SA-Sharky Submariner vs Surface for wife Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K life as a submariner Submariners 3
McHarp Female submariner entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 80
SONAR-BENDER A good time to be a submariner? Current Affairs 7
T5igger Submariner advice please Submariners 5
Antonio555 CIS Submariner Submariners 10
Richbomber Submariner Golden Hello £15k Submariners 12
ToonPatriot Logistics Officer - Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
A Submariner life, could anyone shed any light? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
S Waiting time for Medical Assistant (Submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
J Wet phase of submariner training. Submariners 14
F Writer (Submariner) Submariners 27
IlikeB33r Stokers/Submariner history Submariners 16