Submariner pay questions

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by hello_there, Apr 3, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm hopefully going to be joining the navy as a submariner (etme), possibly starting basic training this year sometime.

I've had a good look on the RN website regarding pay and it gives a general idea but I was hoping I could get more accuracy. First of it gives a chart of pay by rank, which for able rate is 14k to 29k. So basically my question is how and when does it go up? Is it yearly or what?

My next question is about the additional pay. It says submariners receive a daily supplement on top of normal salary of between 12 and 27 per day. Is this literally every day as in 365 days/year or 5 days/week or what? I understand the extra 15 per day at sea that seems pretty clear. When I asked in the interview I was just basically told that the pay is very good and to check the website for more accuracy on that.

Thanks.

2. Once you've qualified as a submariner and got your dolphins submarine pay is 365 days of the year (a days extra for leap years :)).

You get the pay whether you're on a boat or not, as long as you remain a submariner

3. The daily supplement is something you get whilst you are assigned to a unit. I am not certain if it is only for when the unit is at sea.

The components of pay for simplification are:
    Basic rate - daily pay plus
    Submarine pay once you have qualified (paid every day but has specific criteria with regards to particular job, notice served etc) plus
    Daily supplement - whilst assigned to a unit plus
    Sea pay - for when you are at sea.

All subject to tax.

The rates change at least annually, and are dependant upon circumstance, qualifications, time done on sea going units etc. I think that's it...roughly.

4. And just think of the money you will save on soap :)

5. I did a x-poll to a T-boat a few years ago

SOD THAT

6. What is this 'soap' of which you speak?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wimp ;)

8. Stuff the Doc had but not sure what it was for?:rolleyes:

9. T boats so Massive, and you whimped out

10. But accom on "S" Boats was better.

11. did both?:)

12. Same as Sumo, did both, an agree with regards accom compared to S and T's although machinery was laid out out better on a T IMHO, especially the Main and External Hyd plants and 24v system.

• Like Like x 1
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Luxury Hotels, now the A's, P's and O's were proper soap dodger Boats.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spare crew on Forth used to nip over to our ( Juniors ) mess to borrow soap .;)

15. 2 x S 2 x T Barrow x 2