Submariner Nuclear Retention Pay

Hi everyone, I am in the process of applying to the navy for Marine Engineering Officer Submariner. During my chat with my local career officer he mentioned that I would receive nuclear pay once trained. I have had a look at the pay structure and I am a bit confused as to how the retention pay works. It appears to be that you get paid different depending on the category, I am unsure if this is the category of the submarine or category of qualification in nuclear. Also a bit confused why the pay drops from A2 to A1? Is the pay cumulative?

Also just in general, my understanding of RRP for submariners is that you get paid it 365 days a year to stay in your position, if this the case with all RRP?

Anyone know any information on this would be very helful.

RRP (Nuclear Propulsion)
ORs Category C 3.06
ORs Category B 6.12
ORs Category B2 12.24
ORs Category A2 40.80
Category A1 Watchkeeper – MESM Officer – Pre Charge 12.12
Category A1 Watchkeeper – MESM Officer – Charge and post Charge 20.20

It's for your watchkeeping position, the class of boat is irrelevant, Cat C is Engine room watchkeeper or electrical panel operator (depending if your mechanical or an electrical rate, normally a PO), Category B is a single qualified CPO, Marine Engineering Artificer of the watch or Reactor Panel Operator, Cat B" is a dual qualified CPO (qualified MEAOW and RPO, a pre-requisite for WO2) Cat A2 is Nuclear Chief of the Watch, a WO2 of either spec.

NCOW's get paid more because they have worked their way up, plus there's a severe shortage of NCOW's.

Officers get paid less because they don't deserve it ;)

You keep nuclear pay all the time you're a submariner. My last 2 boats I was the Wrecker, so didn't watchkeep aft, but kept my nuclear pay as I was a qualified Reactor Panel Operator.

rhun

Midshipman
The Cat C watch keepers on my boat are all killicks and the Cat B all PO now. Also I never realised how much the Cat As got paid, bloody hell. Fair play to them.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

rhun

Midshipman
It's for your watchkeeping position, the class of boat is irrelevant, Cat C is Engine room watchkeeper or electrical panel operator (depending if your mechanical or an electrical rate, normally a PO), Category B is a single qualified CPO, Marine Engineering Artificer of the watch or Reactor Panel Operator, Cat B" is a dual qualified CPO (qualified MEAOW and RPO, a pre-requisite for WO2) Cat A2 is Nuclear Chief of the Watch, a WO2 of either spec.

NCOW's get paid more because they have worked their way up, plus there's a severe shortage of NCOW's.

Officers get paid less because they don't deserve it ;)

You keep nuclear pay all the time you're a submariner. My last 2 boats I was the Wrecker, so didn't watchkeep aft, but kept my nuclear pay as I was a qualified Reactor Panel Operator.
The Cat C watch keepers on my boat are all killicks and the Cat B all PO now. Also I never realised how much the Cat As got paid, bloody hell. Fair play to them.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
Just to clarify, you only earn RRP including RRP (Nuclear Propulsion) when you are in ‘RRP Qualifying Positions’ such as when serving on a submarine and any other jobs that it is deemed necessary to have the knowledge of a watchkeeper. Not every single job you will do inboard (submariners term for jobs ashore) will qualify you for RRP and you may drop to the ‘reserve rate’ and potentially no RRP after a certain length of time. That’s why the 50% rate is quoted in the regulations - that is the reserve rate.

Just to clarify, you only earn RRP including RRP (Nuclear Propulsion) when you are in ‘RRP Qualifying Positions’ such as when serving on a submarine and any other jobs that it is deemed necessary to have the knowledge of a watchkeeper. Not every single job you will do inboard (submariners term for jobs ashore) will qualify you for RRP and you may drop to the ‘reserve rate’ and potentially no RRP after a certain length of time. That’s why the 50% rate is quoted in the regulations - that is the reserve rate.
So would I only get the full rate while at sea in the sub, and then the reserve rate while I am onshore? Or do you mean the reserve rate would be applied if I move to a position which I am no longer assigned to a submarine, i.e. a trainer on base?

If your're in a submarine billet ashore you keep the pay, I kept mine when I was ships company at Raleigh, working in the submarine school, although, technically I wasn't Raleigh ships company as the submarine school is a lodger unit and comes under FOST(North).

I kept it in when I was in the Air Purification Workshop in what was then known as HMS Defiance, same applied when I was in the submarine section of the QA office in Defiance.

never happened to me too much sodding sea time
:(
Happened to me once after I'd had 2 boats back to back, at the 3 year point it went to the reduced rate, timed to the second although I had already got my next draft through. Took 6 months to get it re-instated, nice wodge of back pay though.

It proved my theory that MoD use a Cray Supercomputer to calculate when to stop pay and a Sinclair Spectrum to calculate when to give it back :mad:

Just be aware with nuke pay as its now RRP the second you put your notice In ie no longer retained you loose it. Submarine pay is also RRP.

Bull but the way it is.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just be aware with nuke pay as its now RRP the second you put your notice In ie no longer retained you loose it. Submarine pay is also RRP.

Bull but the way it is.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
That's been the case since the 90's, nothing new there.