Submariner Medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by SCOUSER84, Jul 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone, i have gone in for ETME Submariner and should be getting a start date any day now fingers crossed. I have heard that all Submariners have to pass a medical which includes showing that you can clear your ears to release pressure. Does anyone know anything about this and what it entails. Thanks.
  2. Mate dont know much about this at the moment but i start basic on sunday so i will have me submariner medical in the first week. Anyways i come home in august so ill tell you about it then :thumright:
  3. Sound nice one, it's only for piece of mind so i know what to expect.

4. They used to put you in a Decompression chamber and take you down to 30ft,if you couldnt clear your ears you soon knew about it !!!

And once you have cracked Raliegh you have this to look forward to (Except they speak to you in English !)

5. Scouse, all submariners finish their training by escaping from the bottom of a 100ft tank at HMS Dolphin in Gosport see here:

History of the Submarine Escape Training Tank

The reason your ears need to clear is exactly what you say to help release pressure otherwise you will not be allowed to finish the course.
  6. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Nicks stop it, may have been in your time. All about pressure and do your ear drums bend,,,,,lol,,,,,good luck.
  7. The medical is fairly routine the things that can fail you are
    the chest xray
    previous head injuries
    the vitelograph (device which records lung capacity)
    a history of blackouts
    asthema <- this may prevent you from joing the navy it did when i joined but they may have changed this now.

The clearing of ears is not part of the medical but it may prove problematic if you are unable to do it. This will show up when you do your SETT(submarine escape tank training) you will be put in the decompression chamber and the pressure will be increased slowley you probley have to clear your ears 3 or 4 time during the desent to 30m. You will be told how to clear you ears if you don't already know. do not worry you'll get 2 attempts and if you still can't do it they give you a drug which helps don't know what its called since i never used it.
  8. I don't really see why they worry so much about clearing your ears these days, if you need to escape bursting your eardrums is the very least of your problems. The real thing about clearing your ears was the old deisel boats snorting when the pressure in the boat would go up and down very quickly as the induction mast dipped beneath the waves. There was a time when my ears were so floppy that they would clear walking upstatirs.