Submariner Benefits?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Hughesie, Feb 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I was wondering what the benefits are for submariners. I am aware of the golden hello and that exta money is given while at sea. I have heard talk of free acomodation and other benefits such as extra pay when not at sea is this true? Thanks in advance Hughesie

2. I would of thought that the extra money. golden hello and shorter deployments would be enough! We are still in a recession, you know.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...a shower once a year? :? :wink:

4. You are offered your golden hello, if you take it or not it is up to you. And you also get extra pay for being a qualified submariner yeah. But everything else is the same.

5. The submarine supplement(highlighted*) which is paid whilst you are on a seagoing boat is peanuts compared to the fortune they throw at you as Submarine Pay which is, without going into detail, paid every day that you are a qualified submariner. The accom' bit's complicated and I'm sure one of the resident sun-dodgers can explain better than I can.

6. Plus you save on bronzy bronzy lotion.

7. Err, why would you not take it?

8. I like peanuts. Do i get a crayon?

A birdie told me it ties you into 5 years service. But this might be bollox?

9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

At least one day a year we don't smell like a pig. :wink:

10. As Guzzler has mentioned you get Submarine pay every day your in the submarine service (if you go skimmer you lose it) whether your on a boat or not. On top of that you get seagoing pay (when at sea obviously). Downside is you don't live onboard when alongside,unless your duty, so you have inboard accommodation and pay food and accom alongside. You keep the shoreside accom when at sea so still pay that charge.

Upside is you get a hotel when alongside on foreign jollies, all paid for by Her Maj of course.

11. witsend

Not sure and being RA and not very interested, I don't think you pay for accom now.

12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Is that every year? How times have changed since I were a youngster. :wink:

13. :roll: :roll: 8O
    If that's the story line, I can go with that.

14. witsend

You cnuts thought a toppers bilge was bath time. :wink:

15. janner

It went with the pooping down the tower with a following sea. Would have been Ok if it had been warm water. :lol:

16. It does tie you for 5 years (or 1 sea draft if you think about it) and it's luminescent glowing bollix

17. I stand corrected sir!

18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...as the man with the othopedic shoe once said!

19. Did I mention we don't have crushers on boats :wink:

20. janner

There was one, for one trip, once :wink: The lesson learnt was never ask a diesel boat Skipper in manky 8's and dashing hair style for his station card.