Submarine service or Surface fleet?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by SRG096, Aug 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, the time as come for me to join the Royal navy.
    I plan on going as a warfare officer, which would be better? sub service or surface?

Opinions are all i ask.
  2. In my opinion officers should be able to make decisions. What sort of officer do you want to be?
    • Like Like x 4
  3. I am making the decision, I am asking for opinions. As i said in the OP, the warfare branch.
  4. Try tossing a coin.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If in doubt, go General Service (ie: Surface) initially.

In the event you later decide to go on boats, there is always the opportunity to transfer from General Service, whereas if you volunteer for boats from the outset, you'll be a Submariner for at least 5 years.

There are many advantages & disadvantages, but a few listed below:

Advantages of boats: More pay, a marginally better ability to plan ahead due to longer term programming (as long as your oppo doesn't pull a sickie), low risk of UV induced skin cancer and Limited communication with home.

Disadvantages of boats: Finance trap, few (if any) foreign port visits, limited suntan opportunities & Limited communication with home.

(Yes, I know I repeated the last one.)
    • Like Like x 3
  6. You forgot Faslane, I'll let you decide which heading to put it under
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Brrrr. Its the waterside equivalent of Otterburn.
  8. Thank you very much!! and can you please elaborate on "finance trap"?
  9. Ninja_Stoker

The more you earn, the more financial commitments you are likely to take-on.

The upshot is about 90% of submariners who join as submariners, stay submariners throughout their career. The question is: Did they stay submariner because they enjoy it so much (to be fair it's a highly professional, close-knit community), or did they stay submariner because they couldn't afford the significant drop in pay in transferring to surface ships?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Hmm.

I would say Submariners are very, very blinkered (and thus good at what they do), and rarely step out of branch until they have Commanded as a early-40s Commander. There is very little (i.e. single digit) chance of doing a job other than being a Submarine Warfare Officer for most of your career.

If that appeals, knock yourself out. But I would ask why the Submarine Service is having such a hard time keeping it's Junior Officers.
    • Like Like x 1

11. Ahh okay, I get what you mean

12. Ninja_Stoker

Sometimes it's fairly evident that Ratings are directly influenced by the higher pay and shorter wait to join. Likewise, Officer candidates can equally be significantly influenced by pay and increased chance of selection. This certainly doesn't suggest submariners are solely financially driven or less high achieving at AIB, but there are many aspirants who don't stick around or make the grade that are just that.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. There's a lot on here if you search about them both, most of it is probably geared towards ratings but you can piece together some info to help you decide.

I'm not in yet, so can't help you. I chose boats, but that's because I wanted to do engineering (as a rating) and the nuclear element really appealed. So that's completely irrelevant for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. House of Commons - Ministry of Defence Annual Report and Accounts 2010-11 - Defence Committee

Table 6: the Submarine Service has a 9% shortfall of Command Qualified Lt Cdrs. Given that Perisher has a historic pass rate of c66%, we should be able to produce enough Officers in at the bottom to ensure we have enough (or a slight surplus) to become XOs and COs. However, instead, we have a shortfall. That happens because we don't have enough people joining, enough people staying or a combination of both. Direct Entry X(SM) Officers are indication that they've sorted the first factor (when placed alongside the fact people can still be taken at IWO when they thought they were Surface Warfare Officers), which only leaves retention as the reason why we can't generate enough mid-seniority Lt Cdrs to do the job.

As ever, the reasons why people aren't retained are complex (and sometimes specific to the Individual), but there is obviosuly something about being a Submariner that is making people leave. Personally, I wouldn't mind doing one job, there is no way I'd do it for a career.

But it is important to note there is a positive to this: if you have the aptitude, desire and ability to see it out, then there is quite a good career progression for X(SM) Officers.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

If Alex Salmond gets his wish, I doubt anyone need worry about the positive and negative aspects of being based in Faslane.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I quite liked Faslane to be honest, for many of the same reasons SJRM has mentioned. However, I would gladly wage genocide on the midges that live on the W Coast of Scotland.
  17. How much progress have you made with your application so far, SRG096?
  18. It's said that Avon's Skin So Soft Dry Oil Body Spray repels them, but I don't know whether that's apocryphal ....
  19. flame throwers repel them!
  20. The issue bug repellent worked at Otterburn (another location of Midges of Mass Distraction) although its not exactly kind to the clothes you are wearing. Smidge is meant to be rather good though. Mate of mine used it out in Oz and worked wonders.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead