Submarine Service now officially open to Female applicants.

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Ninja_Stoker, Apr 1, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Probably not the best day to post this as there's no doubt some will think it's a bite, but we are now accepting Direct Entry female Submariners into the Naval Service. Gen dit.

Female Submariner applicants will be processed for entry via their AFCO as General Service (GS) applicants and will initially train in the GS equivalent Branch, but should make it clear from the outset, on the application form that they are a volunteer for the submarine service and again at the Personnel Selection Officer interview at HMS Raleigh/BRNC during Initial Naval Training.

After completing GS branch training, at a time yet to be announced, subject to availability of seagoing billets, there will be a trawl for female volunteers to undergo Submarine Training.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wow I wonder how pulling a vacuum or pressurising the boat will affect
    their monthly cycle?
    And the back afties getting a wendy on, may have a new meaning?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Well theres women at sea on submarines now so I think its just fine. This isn't news that women can go on boats. Just news they can be direct entry.

4. They should be pushing it. That's their first mistake.

• Like Like x 4
  5. In the name of political correctness I expect this will involve a lowering of standards.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

6. Let's hope not or Wilt will have some kind of breakdown.

7. As it has in the surface fleet?

8. Why?

What's so hard about being a submariner that a bird couldn't do it?

Apart from jobs that involve sheer physical strength and fitness (booty, diver, SF, infantry etc), all joking aside what is there in the Armed Forces that women can't do equally as well as men?

They fly fighter planes, captain ships and direct artillery strikes.

The only difficult thing about being a submariner, is living in shit cramped conditions. Is it any worse than having birds on a stumpy 42?

I've served on two stumpy 42s, one was a stag ship and one had wrens onboard. When all was said and done, it was pretty much exactly the same, except there was more interesting material to masturbate to on the wren ship.

• Like Like x 2
  9. So I believe from my best ex MEO oppo who served in these 'progressive' times.

10. Ninja_Stoker

At first I considered replying in jest, to the effect "Standards?"

Then, in respect to those working in the Submarine Service & females in general, I'd venture to suggest that standards cannot be compromised, nor would I suggest that it is necessary, inevitable or even remotely conceivable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Such as.....?

12. Like you Finks I cannot give first hand opinions of current 'standards' at sea, as I too have not served with women at sea. Also like you, I can only go by what others say and what I have heard, not to mention read on here, has largely been positive.

Oh, and what Ninja said...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Really ? - How many years did he serve in the RN & how many ships did he serve on with women & how many single-sex ships did he serve on?

An MEO with ten to twelve years service will probably have served on two, maybe three ships - tops. Unless they join as a rating, MEOs have treble the experience of shore establishments than they do on seagoing ships.

14. I remember going back on board Lusty after a while sea dodging (11 years 11 months to be precise) when I last went on (89) there was no lumpy jumpers around, went back (2000) and the place stunk of aftershave/perfume/avcat and diesel.

Don't know how the Sundodgers are going to cope with that ( especially avcat, got in there first:))

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

15. forced to take the pill?

16. Seriously?

17. Will they have to be crack tested before taking a deep dive?

18. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The most traumatic part of life at sea for a wren was probably coming up the ladder from 3Q to the heads and bathrooms on 2 deck just as the crusty SR's were heading aft for their ablutions donned in just a towel and flip flops...

They complained the wrens weren't covering up and should all be in dressing gowns. We said the old bastards should have to keep their pants on!!!

19. He joined up as a MEA and worked his way up to MEO.

20. They must be able to prove they're not pregnant. Up to them how they do it, but the onus is on them.