Submarine school - piping the side

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by lesart, Jul 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Correct me if I'm wrong but did I see Cincfleet being piped on(or off) when it was dark? I was under the impression that the side is only piped (for entitled British officers)between the hours of colours and sunset or have regulations changed?

2. You are 100% correct. Just typical officers getting their much needed brownie points in.

3. So they ignore their own traditions in order to make themselves look a bit more fancy on tv?

I thought Integrity was important to the navy.

4. You're clearly not in if you believe that!

5. Thats not the first time I've heard that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Did he have 'American Dan' in tow? Rule was that foreign naval officers of all ranks were piped day or night. Everyone else Colours to Sunset only, and only in uniform EXCEPT HM. RN gets round piping Prime Ministers and similar trash by behaving someone eligible come up the brow with them, e.g. CO meets at the foor of the brow, Flag Officer may be accompanying PM etc on his rounds of our glorious fleet etc..

7. Doesn't make any difference. Had to know all this crap when I was an OOD.

8. BRd 2

Chapter 92

Para. 9203

Piping the Side

1. Between the hours of Colours and sunset, the side is to be piped for the following, coming on
    board or leaving one of Her Majesty’s ships:

a. Her Majesty The Queen.
    b. His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, when in naval uniform.
    c. Other members of the Royal Family of the rank of Captain, RN or Reserve, and above, when in
    naval uniform.
    d. The Admiralty Board and Commonwealth Naval Boards, when acting as Boards.
    e. Officers of Flag rank in uniform and Commodores in uniform.
    f. An officer in uniform if holding an appointment in command of a Commonwealth seagoing ship of
    war or tender in commission, but such officer coming on board by a brow is not to be piped unless
    arriving at a pre-arranged time.
    g. The President or a member of a court-martial proceeding to or returning from the court.
    h. The Officer of the Guard when flying a pennant.
    i. A body when being brought on board or sent out of a ship.
    j. Professional heads of Commonwealth navies.

2. The side is to be piped at all hours for officers of foreign navies in uniform, i.e. officers of navies
    other than those of Commonwealth countries. Local orders for NATO Standing Naval Forces may
    modify these instructions.

3. The side should normally be piped for an officer entitled to it even if accompanying a senior
    officer who is not so entitled.

4. The side is not to be piped at any shore establishment.

5. For officers on the Retired List, see Para. 9220.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  9. I stand corrected said the man in the orthopedic shoes! Always was a crap OOD!!!!!

10. So basically anyone who doesn't shine their own shoes.

11. I think American Dan was already onboard which is why I asked about entitled British officers.

12. A very well informed source has assured me that the presence of American Dan was the reason for this.

I don't think that the scene in question was broad enough for viewers to see all the Officers assembled together at that point and I gather that American Dan was among them but not in shot.