Submarine Otus

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by plumwarner, Jun 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On a visit to Sassnitz in Germany I saw a sign pointing to the U boat museum. I was surprised to find it is the Otus,had to pay to look over her.Anyone know how she came to be an exhibit there.?
  2. Christ knows. Thought they had all been scrapped.

3. The German 's bought her from the scrappers and towed her across there
    as an exhibit . They also have an ex WW2 U-boat -the later one[ type XX1]
    it was salvaged after the war by the German Navy and actually commissioned . The Museum bought it as an exhibit aswell.

We have the Onyx at Barrow and I think the Canadians still have a couple
    of 'O' boats for sale aswell.
  4. She laid at Pounds Shipbreakers yard at the top end of Portsmouth Harbour before she was purchased by the Germans and towed away. The UK seems unable to find funding to preserve modern warships. We now have two O boats one in Chatham Ocelot and Onyx at Barrow having been taken from the Museum at Birkenhead, where the future of Plymouth and Bronnington is still in doubt.

5. And Hms ocelot at chatham i went on it saturday.
  6. Well wikipedia says "HMSS Otus was decommissioned in the early 1990s and was purchased by a German entrepreneur, who moored her in the harbour of the town of Sassnitz on the island of Rügen in Germany to act as a floating naval museum."
  7. Perhaps they're trying to recoup for the ones they lost in the war?
    Watch this space you have being warned.
  8. SF - saw one today in Barrow - no, they're not all scrapped shipmate. Perhaps she's there trying to fool Joe Public that the Astute is on schedule and ready to Commission??
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

10. Seeing boats like that in the scrappers p----sses me off .

Too many happy memories of Diesel boats --the good old days

:nemo: :nemo: