Submarine Otus

On a visit to Sassnitz in Germany I saw a sign pointing to the U boat museum. I was surprised to find it is the Otus,had to pay to look over her.Anyone know how she came to be an exhibit there.?

The German 's bought her from the scrappers and towed her across there
as an exhibit . They also have an ex WW2 U-boat -the later one[ type XX1]
it was salvaged after the war by the German Navy and actually commissioned . The Museum bought it as an exhibit aswell.

We have the Onyx at Barrow and I think the Canadians still have a couple
of 'O' boats for sale aswell.

plumwarner said:
On a visit to Sassnitz in Germany I saw a sign pointing to the U boat museum. I was surprised to find it is the Otus,had to pay to look over her.Anyone know how she came to be an exhibit there.?
She laid at Pounds Shipbreakers yard at the top end of Portsmouth Harbour before she was purchased by the Germans and towed away. The UK seems unable to find funding to preserve modern warships. We now have two O boats one in Chatham Ocelot and Onyx at Barrow having been taken from the Museum at Birkenhead, where the future of Plymouth and Bronnington is still in doubt.

Nutty

Greenie said:
The German 's bought her from the scrappers and towed her across there
as an exhibit . They also have an ex WW2 U-boat -the later one[ type XX1]
it was salvaged after the war by the German Navy and actually commissioned . The Museum bought it as an exhibit aswell.

We have the Onyx at Barrow and I think the Canadians still have a couple
of 'O' boats for sale aswell.
And Hms ocelot at chatham i went on it saturday.

Kurtz

Lantern Swinger
SF - saw one today in Barrow - no, they're not all scrapped shipmate. Perhaps she's there trying to fool Joe Public that the Astute is on schedule and ready to Commission??

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
skyvet Nautical Jokes 18
TonyN Nautical Jokes 2
M Submariners 83