Submarine or service fleet

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Chicogiz, Jan 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is better submarine service or service fleet i think the submarine survice what does everyone else think cause im going to join the navy next month but dunno what i wanna work on out of the 2 can anyone help plz

2. I was lucky to serve in both,so from my own personal view is that as a Skimmer I had some great runs ashore and was sailing round the Med for 6 months at the age of 17,and as a Submariner I enjoyed the extra money,(£5,000.00when you pass your part 3 nowadays apparently !!) but sadly as I was in Polaris Boats didnt get any runs ashore anywhere !! Although the Comradeship on Boats is far better than on any type of Ship.

3. submarines all the way mate i got my dolphines in aug 2005 never been so proud to of joined the best bunch of lads in one of the most demanding jobs at sea. and you must always remember there are two types of ships you have submarines and targets. good luck in what every you choose to join see you in jesters at the t-boat bar :!:

4. Thanks your help mates im mite go for submarine service then onto the service fleet if i can 11 years on each. ANYWAY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ANYMORE HELP WILL BE THANKFUL

5. Once you've gone submarines you won't want to go back to skimmers; apart from the fact that the job's better you wouldn't give yourself a pay cut, would you?
    Submarines every time, all the time....

6. Yeah i am going to be a submariner but if i dont like it which i shore i will but if i didnt i could transfer to be a skimmer?

7. I didn't serve in boats (the tank bl***y scared me !!), but I did serve at the training base (Dolphin) a couple of times. My experience is whatever or whichever you serve in, grey funnel or boats, the comradeship is what you make of it, the money, albeit very helpful should not be the reason for choosing sub service.
    In either of the two arms, you have to depend on your mates, and how you go about that, is for you to decide. Being one or the other does not make either of them 'the best', you only have to read other threads to see the banter between the booties, wafus, Reg staff etc etc as to who or what is 'the best' to get an idea. If you want to see a more fiercer banter, go to the ARRSE website 8O
    At the end of the day it will be your choice, but when all is said and done, we are all dark blue, and we all have a pride in the ship that we serve in.

As the movie says 'Choose wisely....'

:)

8. Agree with the statment don't do it for the money!

do it for the glory, the grey funnel line always used to look at us with envy in their eyes, and proberly still do.

Why?

because H.M. Submariners are the "creme de la creme"and at the end of the day when all is said and done we ARE better than the grey funnel line.

think diesel- stink diesel, we come unclean, as it used to be years ago

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Merlin, can you reduce the avatar size, its throwing the page alignment out

10. I am not doing it for the money i agree with you im doing it thr glory and its something i would like doing so im not doing it for money.

11. Hi Electric Chef,

I take it that when you say 'creme de la creme' you don't mean the pasty (or is it pastry ?) look that you sub guys have after swanning around under the waves for weeks on end ?
    I think it's because you really envy the skimmers bronzed adonis like torsos......!!

:)

12. "do it for the glory, the grey funnel line always used to look at us with envy in their eyes, and proberly still do"... HAHAHA Just like every Submariner - who cares it never bothered me to much..

because H.M. Submariners are the "creme de la creme"and at the end of the day when all is said and done we ARE better than the grey funnel line.
    --- HoHoHo.... Whatever rocks your boat!

I do remember on Killicks and PO's Cook's course the only failures were from the submariner branch.

13. I do remember on Killicks and PO's Cook's course the only failures were from the submariner branch.[/quote]

They did it to show they were human and a little sympathy goes along way to you Skimmers :lol:

14. They did it to show they were human and a little sympathy goes along way to you Skimmers lol[/quote]How nice! I do thank all you bubbleheads for showing so much sympathy to us poor envy ridden skimmers....

15. if it never bothered you why grace it with a responce?

and without any bait! :lol: :lol: :lol:

easy!

16. Slop_jockey was you a submariner mate???

17. Just to see your little comback.... makes my day listening to bubbleheads thinking that skimmers are envous of them.

18. No afraid not. Good bunch but have massive egos for some reason.

19. I didn't think anyone passed a Cooks course, hardest course in the RN is Cooks course!!!!!!! :lol:

20. Po chef on one of my boats refused his Chiefs rate --------reason being that he would have to leave Submarines cos they don't have Chief chefs on boats .If he had taken the chiefs rate he wouldve had an instant pay drop!!------no Submarine pay!!