Submarine food

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by theoldblackram, Jun 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just been reading the crew diaries from the HMS Turbulent

and every entry seems to emphasise just how good the food is...
    Can anyone tell me more about life and food on a sub? Is it really this good or are the silent service just trying to convince us all to sign up?!
  2. Like this :lol: :lol: The Navy Net: Rum Ration › Forums › Royal Navy Branches › The ...Re: Naval food slang · Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:00 pm. How about shit on a raft alias kidney on fried bread, or babies heads alias tinned steak and ...
  3. Submarine food? You mean you have to feed them? What do they eat?
  4. I hear that they love vegetable oil, but that you have to go outside to feed them...good luck with that! :p :wink:
  5. Chefs are the one branch who are critically assessed by everyone onboard at every mealtime. On a boat, even more so, when meal times are one of the events that mark the passage of time. IMHO chef submariners deliver top scran.

6. Unlike our skimmer counterparts who just whistle up an RFA when they run short of BITS, herrings in etc our chef's have to be a bit more creative when scran starts running out and produce some top notch meals, probably why an POCA(SM) "Bill" Bailey has just won a top award (covered on another thread)
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Serving either 'Hot' or 'Cold' food does not necessarily mean creative cooking... 8O :wink:
  8. There's nothing wrong with a nice boiled salad :lol:
  9. sgtpepperband

Salad?!?!?! You must be a Bomber Queen... :shock: :lol:
  10. Ah, a man who likes his cucumbers all flabby..... :roll: :lol:
  11. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

You'll enjoy the breakfast special thingy, niggers dick.

12. That's it, cue one sense of humour failure :twisted: :twisted: . Step outside fcuknuts, four knot fudge packer indeed. As I've said many times before I was a submariner
    A man can only take so much you know :D

Edited to correct spelling mistakes made in a hissy fit :oops:
  13. Oh do keep up with the times SPB, cold food in boats went out when they stopped running them on diesel and got the magic steam box.
  14. salad on boats in the loosest sense of the word,cold stuff kept in old ice cream tubs is hardly salad,and if they just keep topping the tubs up it goes rank after about a week!
    On Opportune we had a fine selction of cold meats and cheeses from around the world every day for six weeks up in the Baltic,or was it just tinned ham and pussers mouse trap,you decide!!!
  15. I should imagine a lot of what you eat is DEEP fried?
    or do they use PRESSURE cookers? 8O :oops: :D
  16. Equality&Diversity probably means it's now "ethnic appendage".
  17. Wrecky, I'd have never guessed you were an underwater gardener from your avatar! ;)

I presume, as matelots have a reputation for liking anything fried (bread, egg, single rasher of bacon, single sausage (well you only need one), single baked bean..... all your salad would be served tempura: battered lettuce, battered tomatoes and of course battered Mars bars :biggrin:
  18. sgtpepperband

Mmm, my favourite! :twisted:

19. Underwater, not uphill