Submarine Film Making

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by imom1406, Aug 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help me, i now work for a film production company, and we have just completed a documentary (to do with submarines...hush hush at the moment). We need to shoot one more scene, and need an underwater shot in a pool or lake.

In my day there was a clearance diver training school near portsmouth, does anyone (a) know if it is still going, (b) how i could contact them to otganise the shoot and (c) if it's not there ....any ideas!??

2. Yep clearance divers are still trained at Horsea Island, sea survival training is done there too.

I believe much of the training is now run by Flagship (private training company). No idea what they would say to letting you use it.
  3. Cheers dunkers!
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

5. sgtpepperband

...but don't expect an immediate reply as the Navy shuts down in August for Summer Leave! You might get a response after Bank Holiday weekend...
  6. Do you think they'll mind if i use their swimming pool while they're away...promise not to siht in it!!
  7. sgtpepperband

I think a floater in the lake will be the least of their worries... there's all sorts of things growing at the bottom there!

If they aren't able to help how about using some of the submariner contacts from the documentary and see if you can use the Submarine Escape Tank Trainer at Fort Blackhouse in Gosport?
  8. Most of the documentary was shot overseas, we are just in final post production, and need one more sequence....and as i remembered doing a fire fighting course at Horsea a 1000 years ago, i thought i would be an ideal location. Also i need murky water!
  9. sgtpepperband

The fire school has now relocated to HMS Excellent at Whale Island, but some of the units are still there. The only operational units at Horsea is the DDS and the Sea Survival School.
  10. In theory there should be no major problems using the lake as it is often full of civilian sport divers using it for training. I myself have dived there via the civies for fun, whilst still getting my daily pay from the RN!
  11. I believe the civy firm was called Andark Diving in Fareham (I think).
  12. Cheers guys!!

13. Cant you CGI in the "murk"?
  14. I recommend the opening scene to "Das Boot"

About 30 seconds of green murk and then a U-boat slowly emerges 8O
  15. CGI is too expensive and won't give the look and feel for the scene..
  16. The film is about an Isreali boat a U-Boat may be a little insensitive!!
  17. Brilliant film , still see the fear in there faces , amazing how they got the emotions down to a tee , :eek:
  18. They were told they weren't getting equity rates, as they were outside the EU when they filmed!
  19. Best war film ever. Apparently they actually kept the actors out of the sun (covered walkways between buildings etc) so they look suitably pale faced.

As you are making a film about an Israeli boat, is it the ex-RN one that vanished on the way to Israel from Portsmouth a few years ago?