Submarine Battery tank sumps ?

Its a long time since I was on an old 'A' or 'T' before they were modernised and though I do recall topping up ect --lifting battery boards , my mind is a complete blank when comes to the battery sumps . Not how they were set-up , I have drawing of the 'A' class , BUT who in the crew checked the sumps and as required in the 1953 'A' electrical manual ---wash the tanks out monthly with soda water . There was a connection from sump to the main suction line , a non -return valve , normally locked with the key on the ships key board . All this is in the manual ,the trouble is that as first an Electrician's Mate and later a PO Electrician , my mind is complete blank regarding carrying out any duties involving the battery sumps . The Web RCN 'O' class manual mentions the sumps , but action is to be advised in the ship's orders ?
Anybody got a clue who in the crew check the battery sumps and carried out the instruction to monthly soda water wash . Thanks Tui Bird.

On SSN's the battery dips are carried out twice a day by the back aft JR greenie. At sea it's the off going morning watch keeper and off going dogs watch keeper, in harbour the duty back aft greenie. The sump is dipped at the same time, if the dip rod is wet, it's checked with litmus paper and pumped out, if necessary, by connecting to the LP bilge system.

We never did a soda wash though, apart from battery cleans.

For dit value, on my first boat (an S boat) the Chief Elec got fed up with the sump being reported wet so he chopped an inch off the end of the dip rod :)

I was the battery maintainer on two boats, got through a lot of 8's and T shirts thanks to the acid!

On P&O boats, the duty greenie alongside and on-watch second motoroom watchkeeper at sea was responsible for eyeballing the sumps once a day/once a watch respectively, recorded in the battery log 'BSSD' (Both Sumps Sighted Dry...hopefully!) Any moisture within was to be reported to the OOD/OOW and the relevant action taken. The sump suctions were on the main line and locked with the keys being held on the 'important keyboard' I believe. If moisture was seen, it was considered an indicator of a possibly split/cracked cell. It could also be condensation or a leaky demin hose of course.

Washing down of the tank etc was carried out by the greenies as a not-very frequent evolution IIRC. It might be done if there was a sign that there was an earth in the tank which could be put down to tracking across crystallized acid/water solution down the side of a cell/cells. The four hoses per tank were connected to the demin tank and the monitor for this was in the AMS I believe - I forget the name of the piece of kit - located near the agitator blower on or near the for'd bulkhead of the AMS.

BR2075 was the bible for all battery routines onboard boats. On a P&O boat, you had to have a better than good knowledge of the book before you could pass your watchkeeping ticket as it was the bread and butter of the greenie...along with all the other nonsense like bedding in carbon brushes etc.

BR2075 was the bible for all battery routines onboard boats. On a P&O boat, you had to have a better than good knowledge of the book before you could pass your watchkeeping ticket as it was the bread and butter of the greenie...along with all the other nonsense like bedding in carbon brushes etc.
'Kin 'ell BR2075!! I'd forgotten that one, I must have read that more times than the end trap Razzle!