submarine anchors

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by geoff, Oct 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

At work, i'm looking into a project to supply subs with an anchor system. Nobody in the office knows how they work. We know on skimmers they let it run free then stop it with a band break when the correct amout of cable has been lowered. We suspect it's fed out under power on subs but we're not sure.
    If it is fed out how do you know when the correct amount of cable has been lowered.

2. Hi Geoff, My experience is with O boat anchors,They were released in the same way as a surface ship and you knew when enough cable(i.e.anchor chain) had been released as it stopped running out of the cable locker.It was then secured in that position.The weight of cable kept the boat in position and the anchor flukes(the prongs on the end) came into play to hopefully stop any drifting if you were anchored in a strong tide flow.When the boat was ready to sail the cable was wound back in using a hydrailic winch and re-secured when fully wound into the hausepipe.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. A nuclear boats one comes out of the bottom of the boat. I remember learning about it on my killicks course many years ago but as I never had a nuke boat I've forgotten everything about it!!
  4. Its powered out until gravity takes over. the length of cable is calculated by a counter on the hydraulic motor giving the number of turns.
  5. When you anchor you have to know the depth of water so a when the anchor hits the sea bed a further amount is paid out as the boat moves away -- the anchor flukes bed in and enough chain is laid out to allow for tides and also for the anchor to stay put.

:nemo: :nemo:
  6. Geof - if you need this type and level of info to be able to do your job - you should not be in the job. Make way for someone with the relevant skills and experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mate, if nobody in your office knows how they work, perhaps you should leave the tendering to those that do. But then, lack of knowlege and ability has never been a bar to winning a government contract....
    • Like Like x 1
  8. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: ...:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: ...:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Spot on mate!
  9. Having been cable officer in Warspite, the system in the early boats was that the anchor was controlled from the tube firing panel in the upper level of the fore ends. The anchor itself was lowere through the keel and was never seen except in dry dock. As topstop mentioned there is a counter to show how much cable is out, fine but certainly the early ones suffered fro some slip and the only time I operated the anchor on recovery the cable counter showed it was right in and the anchor winch had stopped so it look as if the anchor was right home but when we wound up some speed there was this ominous clanking from the keel back around the engine room, the anchor was not right home. The chain had obviously twisted and jammed in the hausepipe, veering a little and allowed the twist to unturn and it all came back in properly.
  10. Peter, you mean the chains were never hosed down??? o_O So it's all true about submariners ;) :lol:
  11. We used to ask for volunteers but strangely never got any.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks for your input, in my defence, I only started there last Monday and was asked the question by a design apprentice. As I only spent 23 1/2 years as a ME in general service this isn't really my area of expertise. If he asked how to set up the fuel control system on an olympus gas turbine I might have been able to help him. Once again thanks for your advice. :thumright:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks Peter, i've passed this on

14. What a fantastic job in dry dock...ranging the cable. Oh I loved doing that. I've forgotten how many cables the S&T's carried. It wasn't very much, just enough for the boat to be held by the weight of the chain. Maybe eight cables, if that!

As it was all done out of sight, so to speak, I was never really sure we'd actually got the flukes to bite or not. Waiting for the Navigator to check his bearings and announce he was happy that we'd stopped could sometimes be a long one.

The blake slip never looked man enough for the job either. Bit of a tight squeeze getting in through the 'tiny' hatch at the front of the trench. It was a job for the racing snakes, me, then! Not now though...not a chance
  15. The windlass is hydraulically operated, and incorporates a brake and a clutch. Veering and hauling are both carried out by powering the windlass, though it is possible to allow gravity to lower. Counting the amount of cable is done by means of a magnetic proximity switch attatched to the static part of the windlass, with a magnet on the rotating part. As well as the counter, there is an Anchor Home indicating light, again a proximity switch. In normal surfaced trim, the windlass is fully submerged, making hosing the chain down extraordinarily impractical. The blake slip is not fitted except for maintenance. I am still lithe enough to fit through the oven door. Hope this helps.
  16. Pedantic mode on:

I'm sure the correct spelling is - hawse

Pedantic mode off.

17. I must be very old now as I DON'T THINK WE HAD AN ANCHOR AS WE WERE ALWAYS BUSY. The old 'A' boats were too busy trying to improve the life of the new navy," thems that runs on steam" :number1: !!
  18. How did the old 'A' boats raise the anchor . Got a diagram of the hydraulic capstan , but nothing on the anchor . I don't think my years in boats we ever anchored ? Any I was in the motor room ! Anybody remember?
  19. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

If it is shallow enough to anchor why don't they just sit on the bottom?
  20. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I makes it difficult to open the hatches!

I think bottoming was OK for the Diesel Boats but there are problems with the new ones, think sensors and things.
    • Like Like x 1