Submarine accident 21 March 2007

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The Leader of the Commons Jack Straw told MPs: "Those of us who have been on board submarines know just what a potentially dangerous environment it is, and the safety record of the Royal Navy overall was second to none.

"We send our sympathy to the family and the colleagues of the two sailors who were killed."
Suddenly Jack Straw is an expert on life aboard a submarine?! :mad:

Source: Dead Arctic submariners are named

jamesm

MIA
Gentlemen

Firstly, may i thank you for your kind words for the families and friends of Leading Operator Mechanic Paul McCann and Operator Maintainer Anthony Huntrod. I am not a submariner, or any way affiliated with the Royal Navy - just a friend.

When i first heard the news, i trawled the web for blogs / info / anything that could shed a little more light on what had happened. I found a site wednesday (21/04/07) looking for info on HMS Tireless. Following the news reports this evening, i thought i'd revist to see if anyone had posted information about the incident. One of the members there PM'd me this thread.

I have known LOM McCann since i was eight (I am now 30)- he was usher at my wedding. On the occasions when Paul was able to return home, he would always regail us of his activities from the previous months. The usual response from the lads in the pub was the standard banter. Paul was phenominally proud of his uniform, and we - his mates - were proud of him.

The post on the MOD site does sum him up:

He was described by his mum Pauline, dad Brian and sister Sharon as "a caring and gentle man who loved his family and was a great uncle to Indea and Lotte". His mum said that she "couldn't have wished for a better son."
There are two words in that paragraph that in order to sum up Paul should be joined together - GentleMan.

Paul, AKA Tinny, AKA Macca, AKA Suntan, AKA Arpveen (and these are just his pub names) was the sort of guy that if you were lucky enough to know, would do anything for you. He will be missed always.

I would like to assure you that EVERYONES kind comments and thoughts WILL be passed on to Paul's family and friends. Should you wish to pass on anything personally, I'm sure the forum Mods will forward them to me or PM me.

Again, thank you all - God Bless You Paul - you will ALWAYS be with us, Rest in Peace Anthony - our thoughts also go out to your family and friends at this time.

I know this sort of thing happens all the time - but you never expect it to happen to you. The impact on a little "nothing" town in the west midlands is huge. If anyone wants to join us in raising a toast to Paul tomorrow before the kick off of the England game - please feel free. He loved football, and i'm sure he'd be chuffed to think that we can get a few people around the world raising a glass to my mate Paul.

Finally, (and i posted this on the other site) - thank you to all the regular posters and well wishers for restoring a self confessed "internet junkie's" faith in forums and blogs. Keep up the posts lads.

Kindest Regards

James - Pauls Mate from his home town.

G_Rivet

Badgeman
" If anyone wants to join us in raising a toast to Paul tomorrow before the kick off of the England game - please feel free. He loved football, and i'm sure he'd be chuffed to think that we can get a few people around the world raising a glass to my mate Paul."

Thank-you for those kind words and information James. I will certainly raise a glass at the appropriate time to toast Paul and his oppo Tony, the injured fella and all the crew in Tireless.

Lest we forget.

RIP lads.

I will be raising a glass of something whilst the national anthem is played tomorrow, thinking of not only these two fine men, but of all our colleagues around the world.

wakka

Midshipman
i knew huntrod. joined up not long before him, i got to know him in mackenzie sqd.

i know a few of the stokers and WE's on tireless, having joined up with them and i know that any damage control efforts would have been awesome. if anything could have been done to get those guys out safe, it would have been.

RIP lads, sorry i wasnt there.

2badge_mango

War Hero
With that wonderful tribute from JamesM, it is heartening to know that Paul McCann will be remembered by loyal and loving friends.

RIP.

2BM