Submarine accident 21 March 2007

From a US blog:
The sub surfaced 165 North of Barrow Alaska. A ERA chopper went out and picked up the injured party and flew him back to Barrow.

An AANG HC130 was able to transport the party to Anchorage for treatment. If the burns are bad, he will likely be transfered to Seattle.

ERA is a pipeline/oil field service outfit and uses long range Bell 215 choppers to service the pipeline. luckily one was on station when the need came up (No pun) and was able to lend a hand.

Sounds like the lads were doing quiet ops - candles and cannisters all the way. Hard graft if your doing that for days.

Really glad the third bloke was alright.

Like everyone else, I've never heard of an explosion in one of these. We used to be carefull not to get even finger grease on the candles, as that could ruin your whole day (these things burn at many thousands of degrees as they work) and are bloody dangerous as it stands. I was always very nervous when running them, as they can go wrong quickly when starting them up.

Feel so very saddend that two will not be coming home. We lost a lad on work up, and so I know how hard it will impact the crew. You just dont realise how close you all are to each other until you lose one of you.

As I said before, R.I.P. lads.

snorko

Lantern Swinger
RIP Guys..

Judging my Adm West's comments on R4 this morning I would hazard a guess he is not "deeps" but until someone can check his bio I wouldnt know.

theoldti

Lantern Swinger
The new candles are called SCOGS (Self Contained Oxygen Generators) They are started with a .410 cartridge as were the oler types but they come in a square canister. You put the striker on top and belt it which ignites the cartridge and then the candle. The casing becomes very hot when it is burning and a pressure builds up inside due to the oxygen being produced, this is then allowed out through vents. My initial theory is that the vents were blocked and a build up of pressure caused the explosion. This is not official and the investigation will show the exact cause. The SCOGS were introduced a few years ago now to make them more useable and less able to catch fire...
RIP lads...............
Thoughts are with the families and crew.

I have seen several reports today in several newspapers, but the best one is in today's Scotsman which gives more precise information about the nature of the incident. It reports (quoting the MOD) that one sailor died as a direct result of the explosion, whilst the other died from the inhalation of toxic fumes. The report also gives a description of the candles, their composition, how they work and their dangers, as well as where they are situated onboard boats, etc. Very informative.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=442982007

Always_a_Civvy said:
I have seen several reports today in several newspapers, but the best one is in today's Scotsman which gives more precise information about the nature of the incident. It reports (quoting the MOD) that one sailor died as a direct result of the explosion, whilst the other died from the inhalation of toxic fumes. The report also gives a description of the candles, their composition, how they work and their dangers, as well as where they are situated onboard boats, etc. Very informative.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=442982007
Thanks Steve, I read my Scotsman in the bus on the way home.

Deepest condolences to the friends familys, and shipmates of these two young men.
Having experienced the tragic loss of shipmates myself, I can only hope there is consolation in the fact that they died doing a job they loved.
RIP