Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Submarine accident 21 March 2007

R.I.P., and deepest sympathy for the families, friends and the rest of the crew. May the survivor make a full recovery, both physically and mentally.

On Radio 4 this morning Admiral Sir Alan West (A Submariner himself) mentioned that the explosion occurred in the fwd part of the Boat whilst the Oxygen Generator was being used/maintained/whatever. (The Submariners here will know the piece of equipment mentioned). These and modifications of them have been used in our Boats since WW2. and as Maxi states this equipment is usually very safe.

No doubt in due course The Board of Inquiry will publish its findings.

My condolences to all loved ones of the two lads who perished,and a very quick recovery to the injured crew member.

R.I.P.

RIP lads. Speedy recovery to injured guy.

(As a Wafu Skimmer, would somebody please explain to me what an Oxygen candle is, and what it is used for? PM please, don't want to hijack this thread.)

RoofRat

A cylindrical device approx 20" tall- 6" diameter. (picture a large candle flat at both ends without a wick) The 'candle' is inserted into a bulkhead fixed piece of equipment. (the generator) It is switched on (electrical current) and over a matter of time 'burns down' creating oxygen which is then dispersed throughout the Boat to replace 'foul air'. (They were used extensively in the O Boats on long patrols when unable to snort). When unloaded the spent candle resembled ash of a cigar but more solid.
Usually a safe piece of equipment. During my time the only accidents I came across when using them were crushed fingers which managed to get tangled up in the loading/shutting procedure.

G_Rivet said:
A cylindrical device approx 20" tall- 6" diameter. (picture a large candle flat at both ends without a wick) The 'candle' is inserted into a bulkhead fixed piece of equipment. (the generator) It is switched on (electrical current) and over a matter of time 'burns down' creating oxygen which is then dispersed throughout the Boat to replace 'foul air'. (They were used extensively in the O Boats on long patrols when unable to snort). When unloaded the spent candle resembled ash of a cigar but more solid.
Usually a safe piece of equipment. During my time the only accidents I came across when using them were crushed fingers which managed to get tangled up in the loading/shutting procedure.

The candles are square these days

I've hurd of candles catching fire, but i've never hurd of one exploding

G_Rivet said:

Many were started with a blank cartridge rather than electrical heaters in case power was not available. The biggest risk was getting grease on the candle as as this could cause an explosion.

Latest Threads