Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

submaine hulk in the Gareloch in the 1960s

I wonder if anyone could help shed some light on a personal mystery for me, when I was very young in the possibly mid 1960s my family used to travel regularly to Kilcreggan on the Clyde coast. I was always fascinated by the wreckers yard and saw many ships there including HMS Victorious in 1969, however something that was always fascinating was a rusted submarine hulk with a crumpled section on the top of the conning tower. What was od was it was not moored at the wrecking yard but close to shore on the opposite bank of the loch. It remained there for some time and when I asked my father about it he gave a vague answer about it having be sunk and raised.

Can anyone shed some light on which submarine this might have been and why it turned up there totally rusted and with the crumpled conning tower please?

I can't remember which boat it was, but it was moored at the old desgaussing site in the Gareloch. I do remember that a group of Glasgow University students painted it yellow when the Beatles hit came out. If you get no joy, try Helensburgh Memories on FB.

I saw Vanguard coming through Rhu Narrows to be broken up.

I can't remember which boat it was, but it was moored at the old desgaussing site in the Gareloch. I do remember that a group of Glasgow University students painted it yellow when the Beatles hit came out. If you get no joy, try Helensburgh Memories on FB.

I saw Vanguard coming through Rhu Narrows to be broken up.
I remember it being moored further north actually close to the shore opposite the Faslane base, my fathers boat was moored next to the deuassing pier back then and i remember us sleeping onboard one night when an O boat was using it, it was a damn noisy affair and took all night

this one looked like an O boat without the radar dome in the bow and smaller, I thought it might be one of the modernised WW2 boats. This submarine, K13 was long gone by the 1960s, she was raised, went back into service and sold for scrap in 1923, she was also involved in the "battle of may island" where the royal navy managed to sink two royal navy submarines and damage others with the loss of over 100 lives

Salty, whilst interesting,it does not support the OP's request or my intimate knowledge of the time frame being mid to late 60s. From the 'History' of your article 'The Porpoise class boats were all decommissioned by 1988,' which is 20 years after we are talking about.

Latest Threads